Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

Hey, y'all! So a while ago, I posted a lot of covers for Links of the Two Worlds... until I finally got to one that's not terrible 😅. I will release the next book in the Rise of the Royals series in January, so I'm trying to get stuff like cover design out of the way. 

Be brutally honest (I can take it, lol): What do y'all think of this cover? 

Links of the Two Worlds (21).png

Here's Links of the Two Worlds' cover, just for the sake of comparison:

W.png

Edited by Micaiah
  • Like 1

Okay. Here goes. It appears the bugs are the royals and not people. The font is a fun font and is more connected to something like a cozy mystery. It doesn't work. These two covers give me no indication of what the story is about. I wouldn't pick them up. Sorry. But you did ask for an honest opinion. 🧡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

connected to something like a cozy mystery

Hm. That's funny. Everybody else I've asked says it screams its genre. I mean, it's supposed to say "middle-grade fantasy."

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

It's the bug that's creepiest, by the way.

I wanted to go with a firefly, as it's called Links in the Broken Ashes (the ashes are both literal and figurative). Is there a different bug I should use? Or should I maybe change the color so it doesn't give off as much of a creepy vibe?

It appears the bugs are the royals and not people.

Well, the bugs are there to sorta give the reader a feeling of the life of a Minniemon before they even open the book. 

So, the story is about bugs and not people? I think I've gotten lost somewhere.

Okay. I wanted to check more thoroughly for myself, so I did some more research. I found these links you might want to check out.

A Pinterest book board for middle grade fantasy covers

Pre-made covers to check out the fonts

Through Google /best middle grade book covers

From a professional designer

Bestselling ones from March 2020

• Like 1

So, the story is about bugs and not people?

😂 It's about Minniemons and Upperlanders! Two-inch-tall people and normal sized people! 😂

If you decide you want to make them more cohesive for a series, you can always change the change. Done all the time.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

However, I see two different images.

LOL, It's the same image. I just did a bit of photoshopping, removing the butterflies to be replaced with a firefly, then changed the color from blue to orange (like a fire). I even left a couple butterflies in the background.

Edited by Micaiah

I like the similarity with the previously published book (but could you not use something that looks like a roach- they fly in Florida....)   Maybe the ashes idea could suggest something else....  maybe a match flame .... I loved the first story, but of course don't know the content of this sequel.

I meant please don't use the bug....  When I re-read my comment, it came off wrong.

Hm. I want to keep the bug-theme through all the covers. I mean, my plan's been fireflies for book 2, praying mantis for book 3, ladybug for book 4, and robotic-looking dragonfly for book 5. But obviously, that's not a very popular idea, lol! 

I want to stick with a similar theme to what I have on book one, with the tree branch and such, but how should I do that?

Does it help if I brighten the firefly's tail to make it look like it glows?

Links of the Two Worlds (22).png

20 hours ago, Micaiah said:

The book two cover is a firefly, and the book one cover is already published, so...

Yes, because honestly, I couldn't tell that it was a firefly at all.  I just thought it was a bug.  You might try multiple fireflies all lit up instead of one giant bug.

I agree; fireflies are great as long as they don't look like "bugs" 😏; multiples lit up would probably work

• Like 1