Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Are quotes copyrighted

If I want to use a quote I found on Google for my book and I don't know who said it, can I still use it?

I found several memes with quotes on them that I like on Google but some of them don't say who quoted it originally.

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Can't look yet. I need the quote. ;)

I did a search of “sisters quotes” on Google. Also found some on a site I don’t remember but if I put them in Google I could probably find them. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Wow! I thought you were looking for just one! Is there one in particular you wanted to use?

Well, I haven’t quite decided yet. There are a lot of ones that I like. At first I thought I’d start the book with a quote about sisters but the reader doesn’t find out they’re sisters until near the end of the book so scratch that. Then I thought of starting every chapter with a quote, the chapters where we only know that they are friends with a friend quote and the chapters where we know that they are sisters with a sister quote. Or I thought I could start the book with a friend quote and end with a sister one without doing any at every chapter. Thoughts?

Edited by Sarah Daffy

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

go with just quoting them as anonymous!

Unless there is someone identified with them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Unless there is someone identified with them.

Like a celebrity?

21 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Like if it has a name attached to it, the name of the person who said it, celebrity or not.

But what if it doesn't?

If nothing comes up, at least attribute it to the website where you found it. (Of course, that's kind of hard to do in dialogue.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

How many are you going to use, Sarah?

No clue. Either one in the beginning and one in the end or one for every chapter.