Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
BAH Book

USA Book Publishers

Hi everyone,

I have just finished drafting my first book and I would like to know if you can recommend some book publishers. It can be Christian book publishers or not. The content of my book has a message pointing out to Christ, our Savior, but it is subliminary. 

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately, most publishers will not accept your manuscript without you having an agent. There are, however, small publishers that will. I don't have a list of them. I'm sorry. When I find one, I'll post it for you. I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

That's good information. Thank you lynnmosher!

I think that maybe I would like to hear from people that already have gone through the process, to see if I can learn from them! 😃

OK.  Here is my take on trying to get an agent. 

One of the reasons some people decide to go down the route of self publishing is because it is extremely hard to get an agent these days.

Even getting off the slush pile is significant achievement.  however, there are things you can do as a writer to help yourself but at the end of the day it takes perseverance and a degree of your MS landing on the desk of the agent or agent's reader who is sees the potential market and sales.

1. Get your MS in the best possible shape. Most writers spend as much time, if not more, editing and revising their original draft. 

2. Get it beta read - these are often writers themselves who will read your work and return for you reading and giving feedback on yours. Invaluable - you may not like everything they say or take up all their suggestions but a clean pair eyes over your MS will benefit it and reassure you whether you are on to something.

3. Get your MS proof-read and laid out as agents want. Read their submission guidelines. Not all agents want the first 3 chapters - some just want the first 10K. Some do want synopsis while others just want a paragraph summary (bare in mind I am based in the UK so things might be a bit different in the US however,  I have submitted to both UK and USA agents)

4. Don't forget to spend time on your story's synopsis and covering letter. Again, get these looked over by someone else not just for proofing but quality. Again you will need to adjust these according each agent's guidelines. 

5. Build a website or facebook page with info about yourself that you can't put in the covering letter. Agents will often take a peak at your social media sites to find out more about you and your writing. Try to identify what makes you unique - don't be shy.

6. Don't give up - keep a database/spreadsheet of your submissions - note the date you subbed and the end date of the submission - i.e if they say they will get back in 4 weeks or not - note the date in 4 weeks time and forget about the submission until then.

6. If an agent does get back to you they may well want to know what else you have in the pipeline - so start thinking about the next project. Even a brief outline or couple of draft chapters is worth having ready to give them if they ask for it.

All of the above applies to the small minority of publishers who are open to submissions direct from authors. Again time and patience is required.

Your work will get rejected for a variety of reasons - some of the above are included, poor presentation, over blown sales pitch, wrong market - so do you research and only send to those who represent or publish similar work or style of writing.

At the end of the day it is pot luck. I wish you well.  It's like trying to find te Holy Grail.

I am sure others in this site who are published or have agents will have their own thoughts but I hope these help. 

By the way - no I don't have an agent - just starting the soul destroying search now.

• Like 2

Darn, I actually did find a couple that were indie and didn't require agents, but that was many months ago. I didn't write them down only because most of my works are on the shorter end, and they all required longer works. There were only very few that I found, though. The rest of them typically do require agents.

Actually, I do remember one of them! However, it's for dark Christian stories, so I'm not sure if that's what you even write. Here's the website just in case: https://www.monsterivy.com/

Good luck!

• Like 1

Doesn't the Christian Writers Market Guide mention whether a publisher will accept unsolicited manuscripts? I know I've asked my library to pick up a copy in the past. If it's been a few years they might want one in the local system or be able to pull one from the wider area for you.

• Like 1

Just wanted to share something I've heard - it's not the best time to query agents because of everything that's going on with COVID. Agents are focusing more on assisting their current clientele and not on submissions. The advice I heard was to keep polishing any manuscript you want to query, and query it later on in the year if things look better. 

Anyway, just what I heard!

• Like 2