Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
dprowell

Market to Christian Readers or Secular Readers?

1 hour ago, Jeff Potts said:

Would Gumby be considered a Golem?

I consider Gumby to be Gumby. ;)

@dprowell, may I ask if you intend to trad or indie publish? If it's the former, your agent and editor can help sort it out for you. (And your editor would pick your Amazon categories for you.)
I keep thinking about people like Madelaine L'Engle (one of my fav authors) ... non-Christians criticized her because her book "A Wrinkle in Time" had too much of a "Christian" message. In the other camp, Christians criticized her for not having enough of a "Christian" message. (Spoiler alert: I'm writing a blog about this topic.) 

Whatever you choose, you'll have detractors. Obviously, detractors won't be your target audience. But they serve a purpose. In today's book marketing milieu, the gurus say, "Love me or hate me, just don't ignore me."

• Like 1

I don't write Christian fantasy (at least not yet), but I have to agree with a lot of the others in that you should definitely consider focusing on a Christian audience, which is what I'm doing myself. I'm glad you created this thread because it seems like it's helped you a lot. I also enjoyed reading the replies. :)

• Like 1

Ok, so I've been doing a little searching on this, and it's pretty discouraging.

If you try a big agency or publisher, it's looking like your submission will be "circular filed."  They want "new voices," and stories for the Alphabet Gang.  They're pretty explicit about it.  In fact, some of the stuff they said they wanted sounded downright depressing and grim.

It looks as if a good chunk of the Christian publishers want devotionals and what amounts to self-help books.  

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

And what's the deal with "Amish Romance" books?

Posted (edited)

You are right  - it is a very tight market.  I have been doing the same research for my novel.

First, Monster Ivy are of the newer breed of 'edgy' christian fiction - they seem to be aiming for the YA market with Gothic and 'gritty' stories but adherd strongly to their books being 'clean reads' - which is why i suspect most of their books are vampire, scfi type horror or stories of kids being hard done by.

They asked to see my MS but I had a delay in getting it back from the proof-reader and we went into lock down. They closed their submissions so that when to pot.

'Amish Romance' refers to books primarily about hero and heroines who are Amish. There is a big market for these. They are know as 'bonnet rippers' but in fact are conservative. (Because Amish women wear bonnets in most traditional communities.).  Again the writing is very clean -  The Lancashire Burning is a trilogy which is well known.

It is even worst in the UK - the market is incredibly small. Publishers want devotional and self-help books or academic books. I rarely see a fiction book reviewed in the Church Times Newspaper (the Anglican national paper). If there is it usually a main stream book which the reviewer notes has christian theme or it  is reviewed because the writer is a christian.. The bulk of christian fiction out there is often under the radar - published for main stream.  It just not cool to write novels with a clear christian theme.  I think that is why so many self-publish or are marketed as thrillers, romances etc. Even one of my favorite christian authors' work get promoted as 'literary fiction'.

It doesn't help that most of the christian publishers here are actually imprints of larger publishers and they wont take unsolicited material. You have to go through WritersEdge or Christian Book Submissions. Both of which charge a fee to the author to register with and there is no guarantee with WritersEdge they will accept you. (Thankfully they accepted my MS)

But don't gave up -  there is an agent or publisher out there - you just got to keep searching for them.

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamrock said:

'Amish Romance' refers to books primarily about hero and heroines who are Amish. There is a big market for these. They are know as 'bonnet rippers' but in fact are conservative. (Because Amish women wear bonnets in most traditional communities.).  Again the writing is very clean -  The Lancashire Burning is a trilogy which is well known.

Man, I didn't know there were that many Amish readers out there!

9 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I didn't know there were that many Amish readers out there!

There aren't. It's non-Amish who read them. And I'm not sure the Amish would appreciate all the books that come out about them. They're not all romance. Some are murder mysteries, in which the Amish are the killers.

18 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

There aren't. It's non-Amish who read them. And I'm not sure the Amish would appreciate all the books that come out about them. They're not all romance. Some are murder mysteries, in which the Amish are the killers.

Wow, I didn't know about the Amish murder mysteries. That's definitely something I'd never expect to exist. I thought it was all just romance when it came to Amish stories. It's also interesting how many of those readers idealize the Amish life yet probably would never live it themselves.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is an excellent "Amish" science fiction novel,  Amish Vampires in Space. The title was originally put forth as an example of writing to market.

Addendum: it's part of a complete series that includes Amish Werewolves in Space and Amish Zombies in Space. 

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Like 1