Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

Do You End Your Stories Well?

William Cane says that "The success of a story or novel depends to a large extent on the conclusion."  So how much thought do you put into your ending?  Do you have your ending in mind when you start your story?

• Like 1

It's usually the ending I envision that makes me want to write the story in the first place. But whether or not I write endings well...I'm not sure. I think I tend to be a little abrupt. Perhaps because I don't imagine much past that "perfect ending" moment.

I've been a discovery writer for most of my life and only recently began to appreciate the virtue of story structure. With that said, I tend to find my ending while writing and then go back and punch it up after the fact. For The Blue Golem, I wrote a fairly standard action ending, learned the story was a Thriller under-the-hood, and went back and embellished out the 'threat of damnation' ending I have now. 

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

So how much thought do you put into your ending? Do you have your ending in mind when you start your story?

As the ending is the destination, then I'd say everything I write is about the journey to that ending. My writing philosophy is simple: How do I know where to take the story if I don't know where it's supposed to end? Sort of like planning a trip. It helps to know the destination, but that also doesn't mean there's only one route there.

There are writers who simply write and figure out where their story will end later. Pansters? Not sure if all Pansters don't know their endings ahead of time. 

Overall, however a writer gets to the end, you absolutely need to stick the landing! 

• Like 1

I like to know how the story is going to end before I start writing, but find that I have to discover the details of the ending as I go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

I like to know how the story is going to end before I start writing, but find that I have to discover the details of the ending as I go. 

Same. I had to write my first ending as I came to it before I could back and improve it. (It's much better now but I never would have seen that ending until I got close enough for the headlights to reveal it.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I haven't exactly figured out how I want the book to end. Do I kill off the guy, or do I send him back home to the other gal? I can't have him running loose like a cocked gun, so ... I'm in favor of sending him back home, because I'm not a violent type.

However, I have a packed schedule at the moment, so I'm letting it ride. I will get back to it! I've invested too much time and energy to let it fall away.

Edited by carolinamtne

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Do I kill off the guy, or do I send him back home to the other gal?

Plot twist, send him back to the other gal and she kills him out of jealousy. 😁

• Like 1

You know, I have no clue if my ending is good or not. For either published story. 

13 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I haven't exactly figured out how I want the book to end. Do I kill off the guy, or do I send him back home to the other gal? I can't have him running loose like a cocked gun, so ... I'm in favor of sending him back home, because I'm not a violent type.

Wait, what story is this? The Oregon Trail one? I hope you’re not contemplating killing Rowdy again...

I always know the end before I even begin the story.  How does the archer know where to aim, if there is no target?

Everything else, though, is up for grabs.  

In some ways, I often write my story in reverse, and oft times out of sequence.

3 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

oft times out of sequence.

I tried that once, but then when I went back earlier, I didn't know what had already happened. My on e-track mind just can't do that.

I think the only stories I've ever actually finished probably had lame endings. I feel like all the ideas I come up with are cheesy, or just don't have that "completed" feeling. I probably should really put some thought into where my main WIP is going to end. I was just about to work on an outline this week, so this will give me a good goal to think about.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, Jeff Potts said:

I always know the end before I even begin the story.  How does the archer know where to aim, if there is no target?

Nicely put, Jeff!

On 7/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, suspensewriter said:

Hey, you're doing good, Z!

I thought they were good, but wasn't really sure. Thanks 

Y'all, I'm so grateful for the timeliness of this post, and for the comments. I went ahead and brainstormed my ending last night. I wrote down the themes of my book, what feelings I want to evoke in readers, specific things I want happened at/by the end, and it helped me get a much better understanding of where the book is going and a better grasp on my main character, so I'm pretty excited! I don't have a specific ending scene in mind, but I like the idea of writing with an ending in sight.

I think that because growing up, I loved things in series, and so when I started writing stories, there was hardly an END to them. It was more about the adventure and drama that would happen, and I never wanted it to end.

• Like 1