Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Chris Brown

Award-winning Author?

Question for the group: Should I put something like "From award-winning author" on the cover of my new book? I did get an Illumination Book Award gold medal for my first book, and it seems like it would be good promotion when people see the cover. On the other hand, I don't want to come across as a complete... well, you know. Big names seem to have "Bestselling author" or "Book award winner" on their covers but I'm definitely not a big name. All thoughts on the topic are appreciated! 

Unless you think an Illumination Book Award gold medal will resonate with your target audience, then I'd use it somewhere else - like it in the book description. But if you do use it, I'd be specific: "Illumination Gold Metal Winner of (year)," instead of "Award Winning Author." 

One of my publishing pet peeves is the overuse of awards and reviews. It seems that every book these days has some trumped-up award logo on it. If no one knows what the award is, or who the reviewer is, it's probably not going to have much of an affect, or work against you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Unless you think an Illumination Book Award gold medal will resonate with your target audience, then I'd use it somewhere else - like it in the book description. But if you do use it, I'd be specific: "Illumination Gold Metal Winner of (year)," instead of "Award Winning Author." 

One of my publishing pet peeves is the overuse of awards and reviews. It seems that every book these days has some trumped-up award logo on it. If no one knows what the award is, or who the reviewer is, it's probably not going to have much of an affect, or work against you.

That's definitely my concern on the book award - I don't want to do more harm than good with a dubious award claim.

On reviews, I'm going with a more-is-better approach. I reached out to a lot of people for advance reviews - basically anybody with any kind of title: Author, Blogger, Bookstore Owner, Radio Host, Ministry Director, you name it. Only a couple will go on the actual cover obviously, but I'll use them all. And they are all supposed to promote me in their channels as well. I'll let you know in a couple months how that turns out. 😅

Overall, I think the book cover should entice a reader to click into the product page (or look further into the book/back cover). So awards and or reviews on the cover should be instantly recognizable to your target reader. Otherwise, you're wasting space on something that could make you look, well, like someone desperate for a sale. 

Other awards and reviews should be used as part of the product page as product reinforcement. They help to close the deal on a purchase. Basically convincing a reader that there's a good reason they looked further into your book.

That's my extent of marketing expertise, which is really just one author's opinion. I'm sure there are several other marketing strategies that would contradict my approach. The key is to find the one that works for you.

14 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

I'll let you know in a couple months how that turns out. 😅

I hope it goes well!   

• Like 2