Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I am considering an idea for promoting/attracting interest in my as yet unpublished trilogy Sphinx.

The thought is to add a page to my website promoting the trilogy in the unlikely event of an  agent or publisher stumbling upon it or a reader.  The thing that bothers me is, if I publish any extracts of the books/MS on it will it then be classified as 'published work?

I am aware that often when material is upload on to the net it is considered published which is why I am hesitating.

Any thoughts?

I a trying the traditional publishing route first and may SP at a later date but not for now. When I contact people I alway give my contact details and social platforms.

Not something I have any knowledge of, but I imagine there will be others like me keeping an eye on this thread to see what happens.

It seems logical that putting bits and pieces would not be considered publishing the whole book, but ... logic doesn't seem to matter anymore.

• Like 1

From Writer's Relief"

Previously published poems, stories, and essays:
Literary journals don’t want previously published writing because editors want to ensure that their publications are fresh, new, and unique. In other words, editors want to be first to discover your writing. Also, editors would prefer to stay away from any rights entanglements.

Here are the pros and cons by agent Rachelle Gardner.

And here are Jane Friedman's thoughts.

I tend to agree with the cons. I wouldn't do it.

15 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I tend to agree with the cons. I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't do it simply because I don't want my ideas stolen before I publish. It happens. A lot. 

I suppose if they get stolen after you publish, well...at least you got to publish them first.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am inclined to agree and ditch it.

Just a thought.

Good articles by the way.

2 hours ago, Zee said:

I suppose if they get stolen after you publish, well...at least you got to publish them first.

But depending on the level of which they "stole," you could make a case for copyright infringement.

But remember: You can't copyright a story idea. But if they outright copy and paste your published material, then you'd have a strong case for copyright infringement. 

If you toss your ideas out on a blog, website, or writing platform (like Wattpad), then you're almost inviting others to lift and publish your ideas as their own. There's little to no protection against that.

It's commonly accepted that there are no new story ideas under the sun, just variations of themes, plots, etc. But it's the variation, that twist, or tweak that gives your story a unique approach that you should protect. My advice is to be very careful who you share it with before publishing.

13 hours ago, Shamrock said:

The thought is to add a page to my website promoting the trilogy in the unlikely event of an  agent or publisher stumbling upon it or a reader.  The thing that bothers me is, if I publish any extracts of the books/MS on it will it then be classified as 'published work?

I am aware that often when material is upload on to the net it is considered published which is why I am hesitating.

Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat.  I have all of my media set up, and when my beta readers are done, I'm off to farm for an agent.

But I'm hearing more and more about how agents are looking for someone who has followers.  Well, an unpublished author is unlikely to have followers, and I'd have to be an idiot to go and provide writing videos or essays in order to attract followers.  I'm unpublished.  What do I know?  So, it's the old "chicken or the egg" conundrum.

I'm holding off.

I personally have no problem giving people a taste, but not at the potential expense of losing an agent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

But I'm hearing more and more about how agents are looking for someone who has followers.  Well, an unpublished author is unlikely to have followers, and I'd have to be an idiot to go and provide writing videos or essays in order to attract followers.  I'm unpublished.  What do I know?  So, it's the old "chicken or the egg" conundrum.

Your followers are those on social media. Agents look at those numbers.

17 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Your followers are those on social media. Agents look at those numbers.

I'm aware of that.

With Facebook on my blacklist and no accounts elsewhere, THIS is my social media platform. (I don't think that's what agents have in mind.)

Unfortunately, if you don't have a cellphone, you can't sign up. Unless there's some other way that I haven't found yet. :(

LOL Well, I must be out of it, too. I have no need for a cellphone. I have a landline. I rarely go anywhere so what do I need a phone for? :rolleyes:o_O:D

On 7/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, lynnmosher said:

LOL Well, I must be out of it, too. I have no need for a cellphone. I have a landline. I rarely go anywhere so what do I need a phone for? :rolleyes:o_O:D

I think they require this to avoid some of Twitter's pitfalls, namely Robot accounts tied to groups that are used to attack people online.

It's relatively easy to do on Twitter, because all you need is an e-mail account.  I can make a dozen of those wthout breaking much of a sweat, given the number of free e-mail providers.  A Phone?  That's a financial investment