Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

.99 Cent Books?

Considering the vast majority of ebooks out there seem to be either free or .99 cents (including some really good ones, not just the trash) I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for me to try to sell books at any price higher than .99, especially since my novels are pretty short. 

What have your experiences been? Do you find people buy your .99 cent ebooks more, or is it selling books more about publicity than price? (i.e., if your book is widely-advertised, people will buy it regardless of price.)

I think the marketing matters the most. I see the Great Gatsby selling for $12 on Kindle, and it's only 55K words, which means that people are actually buying it. Depends on assets, popularity, marketing budget, and financial goals I guess. I like buying good ebooks that get cut from $15 to $0.99 (though I don't know why they get discounted dramatically). 🤔

14 hours ago, Zee said:

Considering the vast majority of ebooks out there seem to be either free or .99 cents (including some really good ones, not just the trash) I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for me to try to sell books at any price higher than .99, especially since my novels are pretty short. 

What have your experiences been? Do you find people buy your .99 cent ebooks more, or is it selling books more about publicity than price? (i.e., if your book is widely-advertised, people will buy it regardless of price.)

Someone here, not very long ago, shared a chart or a link or something that showed the breakdown of sales numbers at different price points, and almost all the sales were under about $5, and a great majority under $2. 

If you have something well known, or a great marketing campaign, you can probably price it however you want. I feel like a good approach is to price it something like 2/3 your print price (maybe you have a $15 paperback, so eBook can be $9.99), then mark it down often so it shows as $2.99 or whatever and people can see that it's marked down. Then you can do some of the bargain eBook site promotions. That's my plan for my upcoming book. 

19 hours ago, L.A. said:

I think the marketing matters the most. I see the Great Gatsby selling for $12 on Kindle, and it's only 55K words, which means that people are actually buying it. 

Because the schools mandate it as part of an English class somewhere.

My kid - who is on the Austistic spectrum - gave a very insightful book report on The Great Gatsby.  He roundly trashed the story as basically being about nothing.  His arguments were pretty solid, and I thought his view was pretty unique.

The teacher, however...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Because the schools mandate it as part of an English class somewhere.

Oh, that explains. 🤣 

So, to update--I've decided to just go ahead and start selling all my books at .99 cents, considering they are short, and also considering that seems to be the most popular price point for Christian fiction. In the long run, I'd rather have more readers and make less money.

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

And as you build your readership, you will be able to increase your price?

Hopefully, yes. But I might have to wait a few years. Talk about people in the Dark Ages--before I decided to start selling books, I didn't even have a Facebook account. Like you, this site was my only online presence.

I might be tempted to buy something from an unknown author at 99 cents. Making it more and I would probably pass.

11 hours ago, dlodes said:

I might be tempted to buy something from an unknown author at 99 cents. Making it more and I would probably pass.

Right, that’s my thought. We’ll see how it goes.

• Like 1