Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
L.A.

What is Your Least Favorite Subgenre?

I want to know what's hot and what's not. Also, my least favorite is Dystopian. Partly because teachers made me read a lot of them as a requirement. But the main reason is that I always find them too secular and unfaithful to the book of Revelation (i.e. vampires ruling the world in the year 5000). Can you believe they made me read Anthem by Ayn Rand in 9th grade? No offense to Dystopian lovers (I know that there are some Christian post-apocalyptic fictional pieces that deal with events after the rapture and whatnot) but I'd rather stick with the knowable present or past.

• Like 2

I'm not sure this is a genre or sub genre, but my least favorite is blood and gore, violence simply for the sake of violence. I don't watch those TV shows, either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L.A. said:

Also, my least favorite is Dystopian.

14 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I agree- dystopian is not my favorite!

sad.gif.92d6346b9f5dafc0435459dce7d14998.gif

But, but... 

Oh, well. Just a side note that not all dystopian/post-apocalyptic deals with the true end of all things. Mine dealt with an end and rebirth.

My least favorite, which is putting it too nicely, is erotic romance.  While very popular, I think it shouldn't be allowed to exist. 

destroy.gif.fd11a502f7ebf2bc0af860f9d62250a8.gif

• Like 4

Horror, as a genre, is my least favorite. Blame that on watching Jaws 2 as a kid. A sub genre I like least would be psychological Sci-Fi. 

• Like 3

I may be mistaken, but I didn't think "Dystopian" stories had much to do with the end of the world.  I'm thinking stories along the lines of 1984, which is about what it's like to live under the thumb of an evil, worldwide government that controls everything--the opposite of Thomas More's "Utopia." I think stories about the end of the world would be "Apocolyptic," not "Dystopian," right? But I do see how there could be some overlap.

• Like 3

I prefer to read mysteries and Amish stories.I did read most of the Left Behind series and most of the Mitford Series. 

When I was in college my Freshman reading list included Orwell's Brave New World, some of the Greek tragedies, Thomas More's Utopia. The title of our those classes in Rhetoric was "Great Books of Western Civilization." In preparing for college, I read 1984, and Ayn Rand's Animal Farm. Yes, My reading choices have changed. As I type this, I wonder why we had to read those books. I do remember some parts of Brave New World.  During the year 1984, I often thought of the book and that story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zee said:

I think stories about the end of the world would be "Apocolyptic," not "Dystopian," right? But I do see how there could be some overlap.

Like most genres, there is considerable overlap. An apocalyptic event often triggers a dystopian world, so a story could fit both classifications. 

3 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

I prefer to read mysteries and Amish stories

Oh, and that reminds me - Amish stories! Yuck. 😜

Joking, but Amish covers can make me laugh. Many seem to feature an Amish girl with perfect makeup. 🤣   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I'm not sure this is a genre or sub genre, but my least favorite is blood and gore, violence simply for the sake of violence. I don't watch those TV shows, either.

You know, I never thought of that as a genre, Carolina- but I agree with you.

• Like 1

Not really a subgenre, but I dislike stories that have simple answers that rational people could fix with some common sense. Yet, no one thinks of it until the end of the book. Seriously! If my toddler could fix it with common sense, I will put your book down mid-book, and never pick it back up. But... that could just be me. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Stories about cowboys where the seeking of justice takes a far backseat to the drama of protagonists riding shotgun over their emotions.   I get that there cannot be a dichotomy, but goodness, the cold mountain cowboys need to check into Doc Holliday’s mountain sanitarium when they get Kafka-esque feelings.   

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Zee said:

I think stories about the end of the world would be "Apocolyptic," not "Dystopian," right? But I do see how there could be some overlap

Yes

17 hours ago, Zee said:

I may be mistaken, but I didn't think "Dystopian" stories had much to do with the end of the world.  I'm thinking stories along the lines of 1984, which is about what it's like to live under the thumb of an evil, worldwide government that controls everything--the opposite of Thomas More's "Utopia." I think stories about the end of the world would be "Apocolyptic," not "Dystopian," right? But I do see how there could be some overlap.

Valid point!

Posted (edited)

Lots I agree with here.

I strongly dislike:

-Most dystopian novels (with a few exceptions) mainly because its overdone and the recent works have the basic same plot.

-Horror due to a highly overactive imagination that gets sucked into stories. I don't mean scary parts in movies mind you, I mean Poltergiest movie level stuff.

-I really don't like "Bonnets and Bibles" novels.

-I agree with @Accord64, erotic romance should be voluntarily burned. 

-Finally, I don't like how romance is done today. People make fun of disney movie characters for love at first sight, but not novel characters for sex after the first date (and particularly before marriage). A lot of it is degrading too. The man is usually forceful-raping the girl because he can't take it anymore-but then his bad behavior is excused in the name of love.

In fact, there's a lot of excused bad behavior in romance. No one acts like a mature, stable adult, especially when the gal has two hunks to pick from and leaves both hanging for an inordinate amount of time because she's too indecisive, ignorant, and selfish to pick one, or tell both to get lost 😡

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, quietspirit said:

I prefer to read mysteries and Amish stories.

I never knew that there was a genre for Amish stories!  Live and learn.

And apparently it’s not as hard as you’d think to find photos of beautiful Amish girls with flawless makeup...who would have guessed?

• Like 2

Some people have all the cover design luck! 

5 minutes ago, Zee said:

And apparently it’s not as hard as you’d think to find photos of beautiful Amish girls with flawless makeup...who would have guessed?

What??  Really?

52 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

What??  Really?

It's usually during Rumspringa.

It's the period of time (usually 16 to 18 depending) when they are allowed to visit "the world." At the end of this period, they are supposed to choose to be baptized into the church and leave all worldly things behind, it leave the Amish and be part of the world. Granted this is a genrel overview, so variations abound, and usually depend on how strict the community they are in is. 

• Like 2

Rumspringa?  What a... cool name.  I have never really studied the Amish, but maybe I should.  They sound like a cool sect.  What are their beliefs?

4 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

What are their beliefs?

My biggest thing is that they do not believe going to heaven is assured for those who follow Jesus. 

I also dislike the belief of nonviolence for any reason, including self-defense. 

We have many of them around this area, and they are kind, compassionate people. I hold great respect for them; I just happen to disagree with a few of their beliefs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zee said:

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

What??  Really?

Just a random cover (of many):

2dccd0c5b384326d768111795652bb6d.jpg.096e26e32da5cdbcaa96dcc9562307df.jpg

Who knew the Amish had so many Maybelline models? 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3