Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicola

Urgent! Get into Audio Now!

I am an audiobook narrator. No, this is not a self-promotion. I just had one of my projects (80 hours of work) pulled from audible because the person putting up the book on acx.com had no right to it. People are stealing books right off Amazon and nobody, I mean this in capitals NOBODY is checking.  

I spoke with the actual rights holder and he is ready to sue. But acx refuses to speak with him because they half acknowledge the false rights holder because he got in first. They see it as the false rights holder violating their policy, not the law. They are protecting him. 

I am here to urge you as an author to contract with any narrator you like to create audiobooks from all your titles, old and new. The scammers are looking for old titles that authors are not keeping as close an eye on. 

Please, save yourself, and some hapless narrator like me serious disappointment and legal anguish. 

• Like 3

Oh, wow! Nicola, this is awful! I hope they prove to be more upstanding. And I hope the scammers are caught and reined in. And I'm so sorry for you. :(

• Like 1

Thank you Lynn. I'm not hopeful. Meanwhile, I'll learn my lesson and be extremely cautious about the projects I take on. 

• Like 1

I thought they checked that bett. Sounds like it's just,  he said so so it must be true. 

Sorry you have to lose out on the work @Nicola

• Like 1

That is terrible. 

Question.how do authors check that their work is being put up for audio?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nicola said:

People are stealing books right off Amazon and nobody, I mean this in capitals NOBODY is checking. 

You know, Nicola, this is truly odd, it really is.

15 hours ago, Nicola said:

Please, save yourself, and some hapless narrator like me serious disappointment and legal anguish. 

The question is-- how??  I have some experience with plagiarism, and it just doesn't stop.

13 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Question.how do authors check that their work is being put up for audio?

You know how you have the title listing and then all the different versions of the book? Amazon put the false Audiobook listing right beside the true ebook and print listing. If something appears in your Amazon listing that you didn't produce, start talking to acx.com. 

ACX has a search function: The drop down menu will have a titles accepting auditions option. Put in your book's title or ISBN or ASN and hope nothing comes up! 

Thank you for your kind sympathy. I'll get over it, and I'm not alone in this. I'm eager to see it stop.

My experience doesn't compare to the loss you suffered, @suspensewriter I am doubly sorry for your loss.

25 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

The question is-- how??  I have some experience with plagiarism, and it just doesn't stop.

I don't know if this is classic plagiarism. Authors can claim their books back and, as with mine, titles can be taken down. I don't know how that happens, but I'll be researching the topic. 

The best way to stop it is to make sure authors take advantage of the audiobook world themselves. If there are no neglected books out there, well, it is true the scammers will find another way since acx is aiding and abetting them, but they'll have to work harder. 

ACX  search.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nicola,

Thanks for the heads up. It never even occurred to me that this could happen.

Out of curiosity, are you an Acx narrator/producer, or do you work through other means?

1 minute ago, RADerdeyn said:

Out of curiosity, are you an Acx narrator/producer, or do you work through other means?

I'll work for any legal narrator platform.  I'd love to leave ACX behind me, to be honest!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Just checked my sp novel.not listed for audio.Phew!

Phew! I feel your relief! May God seal it for His use and Glory!

• Thanks 1

I’m not published yet, so I don’t count, right?

Right??

11 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I’m not published yet, so I don’t count, right?

Right??

If you posted an early draft for critique and it was picked up by a pirate.

This would be a case that would be hard to prove, since the work didn't have its copyright registered. ( Legally, it's copyrighted after you write it, but registration is part of the publication process.) It's incumbent on you to prove prior authorship, substantial correspondence, and access to your original work.

The "unconscious plagiarism" suit against George Harrison is an example. There was substantial correspondence between the melodies of "My Sweet Lord" and "He's So Fine." The latter had been previously recorded by the Chiffons and copyrights were registered for the lyrics, the melody, and the recording. Harrison had some familiarity with the work of Phil Spector, credited as producer for the earlier recording. Punitive damages were not awarded because no case could be made for intentional plagiarism.

SW has a worse story of copyright infringement, but you have to protect your work, published or not. I trust the critique forum on this site because I've seen the safeguards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

The "unconscious plagiarism" suit against George Harrison is an example. There was substantial correspondence between the melodies of "My Sweet Lord" and "He's So Fine." The latter had been previously recorded by the Chiffons and copyrights were registered for the lyrics, the melody, and the recording. Harrison had some familiarity with the work of Phil Spector, credited as producer for the earlier recording. Punitive damages were not awarded because no case could be made for intentional plagiarism.

Boy, I forgot about that case until you mentioned it.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, Nicola said:

Here are two people willing to speak on the subject.  There seems to be much "Amazon will hear and destroy me" feeling. 

Really??  I'd think they'd love to hear about it.

54 minutes ago, Nicola said:

This is a different type of scam. Oh the web we weave, when we first set out to deceive. 

This never ends, does it?

Thanks for the heads up about this. It was my intention to produce an audio book the same time I uploaded my devotional. Maybe I should get the ball rolling on the audio a little sooner.

• Like 1

Hey, Nichola,

If you don't mind me asking, how do you record your audiobooks? I've thought of doing that myself, but I'm looking at a limited to zero-dollar budget. There was a recording studio that I could use sometime, but they are not open for the rest of the year.

Thoughts?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:49 PM, Nicola said:

I spoke with the actual rights holder and he is ready to sue. But acx refuses to speak with him because they half acknowledge the false rights holder because he got in first. They see it as the false rights holder violating their policy, not the law. They are protecting him. 

I'd love to see them say that in front of a judge.  I hope the rights-holder takes them to the cleaners.  Their "policy," does not trump law.

I've read about something like this as it relates to old books - companies in India and China just ignoring copyright protections, and "reissuing" books on markets like Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  It used to be reserved for public domain stuff, but they've since moved on.  And places like Amazon?  They say there is nothing they can do about it, which is bull.  

I emphasize with your plight.  The fact is if places like Amazon actually did their due diligence, this would be less of a problem.  They leave the door open, let the mice in, and say that their mouse problem is not their fault.  Yes it is!  You left the door open!

2 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

I emphasize with your plight.  The fact is if places like Amazon actually did their due diligence, this would be less of a problem.  They leave the door open, let the mice in, and say that their mouse problem is not their fault.  Yes it is!  You left the door open!

Well said! And thank you for the empathy. Honour and integrity are slim and hard to find in this world. If we refuse to play along, we lose a market. I am grateful for the competitors to the Zon. We can support them and hope they keep the door closed.

20 hours ago, Hobbitchild said:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you record your audiobooks?

I don't mind at all!  I have an audio interface (converts analogue to digital) a condenser microphone and head phones, and a laptop to link them all together. I use the free app Audacity to edit. 

I did this course with Krystal Wascher https://krw.teachable.com/  

I use my walk in closet for the sound booth. Clothes absorb sound very well!  

ACX.com used to be really great for putting authors/publishers in touch with narrators. This post gives the reason why it is not great anymore. Be very careful, read lots, join Facebook groups. 

And have fun!  I love narrating! I love interacting with other authors. Life is better when we listen!