Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

Did 1840s inns have double beds? The internet is not being much help.

Edited by Sarah Daffy

This site has a lot of information: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/86945440/how-have-bed-sizes-changed-throughout-the-ages-why-has-the-double-died

When I think mid-19th century, it seems like most of the museums/stately homes/historical sites I've visited had what I would consider very small beds. Even in master suites it seems like they were maybe like a modern queen size at the most. Not that helpful I know, but my gut feeling is that you're probably looking at single (or smaller!) size beds.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In Moby Dick (1851) not only does Ishmael get a room in an inn that has a double bed, he finds the other side of the bed is already "rented out" to another tennant: the cannibal Queequeg! (It's a rough start to a memorable alliance, in which even after Queequeg's death, he will indirectly end up saving ishmael's life...)

Don't picture a solid mattress over box springs, though; picture a long, wide sack filled with straw, supported by a mesh of ropes...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 1