Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
BKHunter

Hagia Sophia Turned Back Into Mosque

Wait, hasn't it technically been a mosque for years? Not one in active service, though, I suppose.

3D Hagia Sophia

At least we have scans and virtual tours.  Don't have to quarantine to visit!

The most interesting thing the scans (not the link I gave) reveal are the Christian mosaics and paintings that are painted over now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nicola said:

3D Hagia Sophia

The most interesting thing the scans (not the link I gave) reveal are the Christian mosaics and paintings that are painted over now. 

This probably means the end of any restoration of the mosaics. I guess Erdogan is trying to score points domestically.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 7:50 PM, Nicola said:

3D Hagia Sophia

Yeah, I played a virtual tour for my class when we were studying Byzatine v. Romanesque architecture. 

My students found the Islamic symbols rather odd.

But, it's not like it's a "new" thing. Islam has been taking over/destroying Christian holy sites almost since its inception.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

But, it's not like it's a "new" thing. Islam has been taking over/destroying Christian holy sites almost since its inception.

Yes, those holy sites witness to us of past trials to give us strength for present and future tribulation. We hold the things of this world lightly, even our bodies as temples until they are renewed. 

• Like 3

So I suppose the concern is that once the Hagia Sofia has ceased to be a museum, it will be less accessible to people of other faiths (other than Islam)?

That is a shame, but as Nicola said, a building is only a building, after all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zee said:

So I suppose the concern is that once the Hagia Sofia has ceased to be a museum, it will be less accessible to people of other faiths (other than Islam)?

It's more than that. It's symbolic of Turkey rejecting its modern-era secularism and, instead, embracing a past that included the genocide of its Christians.

The important thing is that because the hope of Christ is not found in buildings and symbols, while they are focusing on tearing down Christianity's buildings and "holy sites," we can focus on telling people about Jesus, sharing the Gospel and seeing lives changed.

It doesn't matter if every church in the world gets turned into a mosque. We know how the story ends- Jesus is victorious. Our job is not to preserve buildings but to grow the Kingdom of God.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

It doesn't matter if every church in the world gets turned into a mosque. We know how the story ends- Jesus is victorious. Our job is not to preserve buildings but to grow the Kingdom of God.

Very, very true. Still, it's sad to see it finally come to this, though I suppose the only real surprise is that it's taken so long to happen. I do feel a greater sadness for the few Christians that still remain in that part of the world; things won't likely be getting easier for them...