Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

On 7/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, zx1ninja said:

What do you think it would take to make  a space station self sustainable and would you live there?

Gravity would be a good start.  That and a strong magnetic field that keeps me from being turned into a human French Fry.

They are discovering that gravity is a HUGE factor in living in space.  Everything else - recycling oxygen, water, etc. - is quite viable.

And no, I wouldn't live there.  I happen to like blue sky, green fields, the sounds of songbirds in the morning, and crickets at night.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

They are discovering that gravity is a HUGE factor in living in space.  Everything else - recycling oxygen, water, etc. - is quite viable.

You are of course correct. That's why gravity, or something providing the effect of gravity is a must have. Otherwise the lakes with the oxygen creating plants would just be blobs floating around.

Strong magnetic field would also provide protection from solar radiation. Parking the station in the magnetosphear of a planet might work well. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

And no, I wouldn't live there.  I happen to like blue sky, green fields, the sounds of songbirds in the morning, and crickets at night

Well, some or all of that might not be there as songbirds and crickets may not be a good thing for an enclosed biosphere. Might have green fields and a blue sky projection. Maybe even a bird and cricket sound track. Even controlled lightning to simulate day and night. 

On 7/22/2020 at 7:32 AM, suspensewriter said:

Oh how this conversation has degenerated!😀

Oh, I don't think so. It has gotten quiet though. 

So. Now that we have air to breathe, let’s mess that up and start living there. We’ll generate some carbon dioxide, some of which the plants will use and store the rest in the ground and water they live in.

Humans are there, we like meat, so we’ll have food animals. We’ll probably have pets too, but we’re still getting started. Since most food animals eat, for the most part, plants that means we need to grow their food. Growing plants generate more oxygen, so that seems like a good thing. But remember it’s all about balance.

There’s issues with animals, all of them, cattle in particular. They generate a lot of methane gas. This is not a good thing for our biosphere. While this isn’t the only issue, how can it be dealt with.

With zero waste as a primary goal, the needs of the biosphere must come first. If they don’t the balance will be off, the biosphere will fail.

Well, no two ways about it, we’d have to collect, store and dispose of it. If we don’t our biosphere will fail and failure means death. That’s not good. But let’s not waste it either. Recycling will be mandatory in our biosphere with zero wast the goal. It can be used as fuel or perhaps something else. But a way to do it without affecting our biosphere must be developed.

We’ll have animal (including humans) solid and liquid waste, plant waste, and space station waste from the power systems for a start. We’ll call that technology waste for now. There’s still a lot to consider here.

6 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Humans are there, we like meat, so we’ll have food animals... 

6 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

There’s issues with animals, all of them, cattle in particular. They generate a lot of methane gas. This is not a good thing for our biosphere. While this isn’t the only issue, how can it be dealt with.

Why not just use Soylent Green?  😉😱

A meat replacement was my first thought. Many SF authors use meat substitutes to avoid this issue or to account for scarcity. However, it would be more interesting to have cows to throw around when the anti-gravitation mechanism fails. :)

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Why not just use Soylent Green?  😉😱

I don't think I'm ready for that. Besides, it'd take a lot of food coloring. 😁

1 hour ago, Vance Kessler said:

However, it would be more interesting to have cows to throw around when the anti-gravitation mechanism fails. :)

Gives a whole new vision for "when pigs fly" and "the cow flew over the moon" don't it? 😃

Besides, I never thought about just how many there would be. It'd probably be very few making a meat or protein replacement necessary. But bacon, I don't think there's a good bacon flavor replacement.

Edited by zx1ninja
Addition

4 hours ago, Vance Kessler said:

However, it would be more interesting to have cows to throw around when the anti-gravitation mechanism fails. :)

Meh, seen it before. 😉

I'm working on a "space habitat gone bad" generation ship concept with feral cats, escaped chickens and goats in the lower gravity interior corridors. A kind of kudzu jungle fills these spaces, and our hero makes a good living as a trapper and hunter. 

"Passengers" has an egregious error of spin gravity failure. It makes for an exciting special effect but the sudden and complete cessation of spin is impossible without a counteracting force.

5 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

A kind of kudzu jungle fills these spaces, and our hero makes a good living as a trapper and hunter. 

Sounds interesting. 

3 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

"Passengers" has an egregious error of spin gravity failure.

It has a lot of impossibilities. But it's still a good movie. 

16 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

But it's still a good movie.

Well, except for the "creep" factor of the main character waking up the hot chick because he was lonely (hijacking her life), and the egregious absence of common sense contingencies that allows someone to wake up mid-trip without any emergency support.

But other than that, generally well executed. 😁  

All true. I don't think I could have done that. But you never really know what you'll do until the time comes and it's real.

As for the ship. Yea, things like cascading failures, should have woken up a command crew member.  One of the most blatant to me was him in a space suite in the vent blast of the reactor with nothing but a door. Should have cooked him or at minimum cooked the suit leaving him in space. Or where the tree roots go? Lots more if you look. Martin is much better. 

Just now, suspensewriter said:

I've never seen the movie "Passengers,"  now I'll have to watch it.

Decent premise, Decent special effects, rife with problems 

To continue, 

So what do we do with all the waste that’s created? Remember this must be a zero waste society. Every thing must be recycled and reused if possible for a reasonable return.

If it costs more to recycle than say, 40% of what the recycled product provides then perhaps the creating source needs to be reevaluated.

We already have a decent handle on a lot of recycling, people just don’t do it. Easy things like paper, plastic, glass, metals. Organic waste, food, will need to be composted for soil enrichment if it can’t be fed to the animals.

Then there’s electronic waste. That’s a little different, but still, we have an idea of how to do it. Construction waste will also have to be minimized as it will cut down on the cost and effort to get the materials in the first place.

Next we need air pressure. Without proper air pressure we still die. To low and the fluids in our bodies boil. Too high and we’re crushed.

I suspect that while critical, pressure will, to an extent be generated by oxygen creation. The more that’s generated the more pressure we’ll have. But remember pure oxygen environment is not necessarily the best choice.

Since we’ll likely be mining water from comets and other sources, the excess can be split by electrolysis to create hydrogen fuel for power production and oxygen. Adding to the biosphere process and assisting in maintaining proper pressure and breathable air.

Do we add other gasses to create pressure? I’m not sure, I’m not versed enough to even do a general discussion about that. For example nitrogen for the plants, but a few other gasses might be needed for the biosphere. I’d be more concerned about poisonous gasses. Those would just be bad.

How about applying nanotechnology? I wrote this into a story once. It allowed waste material to be reformed/purified/repurposed into materials for manufacturing.