Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

What do you think it would take to make  a space station self sustainable and would you live there?

Check out the International Space Station and what it has. It is pretty close to self sustainable. 

But I would have to have sustainable for my horse, too, and some cats.

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Check out the International Space Station and what it has. It is pretty close to self sustainable. 

I am, thank you. 

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

But I would have to have sustainable for my horse, too, and some cats.

Ha!  Yep, you've got to have room for the animals, Z!

The most intriguing space station design I've seen recently was in the movie "Elysium." While I don't recommend the movie (interesting but very violent and dark), here's a video I found on the likelihood of building a real-world Elysium: 

Posted (edited)

@Accord64 I saw Elysium, it is dark and violent but I thought the Special Effects weren't to bad and the idea of sacrifice in the end was redeeming. Because sacrifice requires sometimes great violence. 

As for the space station, very interesting indeed. I think the structure would be difficult to build and stay together well, and the open sky to space concept is just a little unnerving. The plasma shield is not for us.

I personally like the O'Neill cylinder concept well. One drum for primarily human habitation and the other for animals with construction shared in the lower gravity areas. But that can't be an exclusive arrangement. 

Edited by zx1ninja
Addition

3 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

NOT MY HORSE!

Well, they certainly wouldn't be first on the list. 🤔

Another space station is featured on the "The Expanse." I really like this series. It's very well done.

Here's the lowdown on one of their largest stations: Ceres.  

@Accord64 An asteroid hollowed out to be used as a space station does have a lot of advantages. Especially when you consider cosmic radiation and smaller asteroid protection.

By hollowing out the asteroid you don't have to search for and/bring in a lot of additional material making it easier to create. 

Very intriguing concept compared to building a space station outside of an asteroid or other galactic body.

If you want to build a space station out of "local" materials, I'd recommend a humongous power source, and 3 (three!!!) asteroids.

Sadly, judging from meteoric materials we've gathered, asteroids don't seem to come with all the right materials, in one chunk.

You want a big iron-nickel asteroid; this is the one you hollow out. The iron is a workable structural material, though in the interior habitat, it will rust. Sadly, the nickel (expect 5-20%) is toxic, and even repeated exposure to small amounts tends to develop nickel allergies in humans. It becomes severe. Either refine the nickel out, or make up some "magic" technology that deals with nickel sensitivity in humans.

Next, for biomaterials, as well as plastics & tougher, protein-like materials, you need lots of carbon. A second asteroid that's a carbonaceous chondrite will supply this, though they seem much rarer that the rest. They tend to have some nitrogen, which is needed for the protein-like stuff, and for various hydrocarbons/carbohydrate-like materials, you need lots of hydrogen & oxygen, best found in the ice of some comet material (the third asteroid). For obvious reasons, you'll want a lot of water, anyway.

Other elements might have to be imported, or specialty-mined from various extraterrestrial sources.

@Wes B So that brings us back to a constructed station so we can control the materials and prevent contamination or poisoning easier. 

Personally, still favoring the O'Neill cylinder. But I'd crazy to exclude other designs completely. 

On a side note. Polypropylene, if I understood it correctly, is a good material for cosmic radiation protection along with astronaut poop. Depending on the the thickness and density of course. 😄

Greg Bear did a good job of creating a asteroid based generational ship in Eon. It was a good story. Not that you have to go with an asteroid, but it certainly is an option.

Posted (edited)

Been doing an overview of this very discussion on my author blog.  There's a link in my bio if anyone is interested, otherwise it's too much to put here. The last post was put out of place though, 😖 frustrating.

Edited by zx1ninja

Z, I thought you might want to change this sentence on your blog: "Welcome to my Author Blog to show some of my work and discuss it others." I think it needs with before others. I'm curious why you use a date for your blog posts rather than titles.

8 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Z, I thought you might want to change this sentence on your blog: "Welcome to my Author Blog to show some of my work and discuss it others." I think it needs with before others. I'm curious why you use a date for your blog posts rather than titles.

You're right, but I'm havng trouble finding that for some reason. 

I use dates because it's easier for me to track. And since I only do a few paragraphs at a time, it allows for continuous flow in my mind. Not that I don't repeat. 

You're welcome! I noticed about your posts. Since your posts are date titled, the one is posted before the other because of the posting date. You can change the titles if that would do better. Just a thought. Sorry for the hijack. :D

Yea, posting date is wrong and I don't know why. It's OK, I appreciate you letting me know. 

You know, I don't think that building a space station out of an asteroid is as easy as assembling one in space- I'm just saying.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe, maybe not. Like everything else there are good and bad sides to the asteroid.

Aside from what's already been said, what if you wanted to change its orbit or have it stay in one spot or even adjust a stationary orbit of a planet. Now you have to install some type of drive system or build a group of ships to tow it around like a tug boat. 

Still, there might be times the asteroid would be the method of choice. Size might be a primary factor. 

Edited by zx1ninja
correction