Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Writing Parables - Not a Competition

Recent blog post, from my site.  https://alleyhart.com/2020/07/writing-parables-not-a-competition/

I would love to hear you guys' stories about this below!! 

Writing Parables – Life lessons that apply to writing 

A while back, I watched Black Rifle Coffee Company’s commercial: The Last Cup. It’s roughly a five-minute mini-movie commercial of a bunch of military veterans fighting over the last cup of coffee. The first four minutes include everyone going from being happy to a fistfight, an all-out brawl, a car chase, a car wreck, a helicopter escape, and some aliens. It’s only at minute five that anyone reminds them, they own a coffee company! 

Sometimes we writers are like this fighting over readers. We want their attention. We start friendly, but as soon as a potential reader comes along, we are like a bunch of toddlers screaming “mine!” After bickering, vying for attention, and glaring at one another, we end up with egg on our face because the reader did something unexpected and mind-blowing. The reader … read them both. 

In this world of crafted word portraits, we sometimes forget that readers have a voracious appetite for the written world of their choice. Some enjoy romance; others like mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and so many more. Some people, like me, deeply enjoy a well-crafted blend of several of these genres. 

My point is this. Don’t turn this into a competition. It’s not. We writers can help ourselves, and more importantly, aid our readers when we lift each other up. Readers notice when we are positive and point them to similar books, stories, news, blog post, and articles. If they love my work, and I point them to someone like you with similar work that they also enjoy, they are likely to come back to look for more recommendations. What happens when I realize where my new readers are coming from? Most of the time, I return the favor and send my readers to you. 

If we take the time to build each other up, we will make a team that is working toward the same goal—happy readers. If we make this a competition, we will soon find ourselves isolated. What could have been, will only be a pipe dream. I know it is contradictory to the advice of some experts, but I have yet to see kindness turn readers away. Give it a try. You never know. The person you help could be the next Steven King, who points people to your books. 

I’d love to hear about your success story. Or perhaps you struggled with this at one time. I can’t wait to hear all about it in the comments below. What is your moment of sharing someone else’s story? Has anyone ever shared your work? 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Alley said:

If we take the time to build each other up, we will make a team that is working toward the same goal—happy readers.

And a better world!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alley said:

Sometimes we writers are like this fighting over readers. We want their attention. We start friendly, but as soon as a potential reader comes along, we are like a bunch of toddlers screaming “mine!” After bickering, vying for attention, and glaring at one another, we end up with egg on our face because the reader did something unexpected and mind-blowing. The reader … read them both.

I never thought of it like this, I just never did.

• Like 2

I never thought of it like that either, Alley. I guess some of us don't do that. ;) But that is certainly a good point. And this is very nicely written, Alley. Good job! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I guess some of us don't do that. ;)

That's because you're awesome! 😁 

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

And a better world!

Amen! 

15 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

. I think we need an emoticon for tongue in cheek!

I'm not sure @Rebecca has emojis up her sleeves, but you never know. She is a bit of a magician when it comes to this stuff. 😁 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I wonder about the people that do view it as a competition, though?

I think (for the most part) it is a mindset problem. I don't think they realize this is not like other products. They look at readers kind of like a store shelf. Once the store sells out, there is no more. We saw that with the toilet paper shortage. 🙄

But that's not true with reading. Books don't come with an expression date, and there will always be someone who has not discovered your books yet. 

• Like 1

I have shared others poetry on my website and writings.  I never felt like I had to compete.  I have often felt though that my writing is not as good as others.  I feel that my writing is not worthy.  I can see some people being like that.  I don't think I have to compete to find readers, but when I don't have readers, I think it has to do with my writing and then I get discouraged.

13 minutes ago, jennifer1113 said:

but when I don't have readers, I think it has to do with my writing and then I get discouraged.

I'll tell you the truth, I've never met a writer that doesn't feel like this at some point. Comparison is a horrible trap the enemy uses. Just remember God placed this in you, and he doesn't want you to keep it to yourself. 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alley said:

I'll tell you the truth, I've never met a writer that doesn't feel like this at some point. Comparison is a horrible trap the enemy uses. Just remember God placed this in you, and he doesn't want you to keep it to yourself. 🙂

Thank you Alley!  Great encouragement..

The non competition around here is what makes this place sweet. Maybe this is what we are selling because we know the reader is voracious. We hit on a good thing early and kept at it!

I know this because I am voracious about books. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicola said:

because I am voracious about books. 

😄 Me too! 

• Like 1

Just my two cent's worth here.  It was pointed out to me that other writers are our collegues NOT our competitiors. 

1 minute ago, quietspirit said:

Just my two cent's worth here.  It was pointed out to me that other writers are our collegues NOT our competitiors. 

Very true. 🙂 I guess I danced around flat out saying that. 😄 

• Haha 1