Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Had joined a Christian writers’ group with the hopes of getting my fiction critiqued. Today’s meeting focused on non-fiction which I’m fine with. When asked if I had something for next month, I offered to bring a fiction piece. I then asked if that was okay with the others. Well...a pastor in the group totally ignored my question and said he could bring another one of his manuscripts for next time. The group leader agreed and said I could bring mine in September. 

Feeling kind of bummed right now. 

26 minutes ago, SpecFictionGuy said:

Feeling kind of bummed right now. 

I certainly understand that feeling. Has the group seemed receptive in the past? Was this just a one-time occurrence, or have you felt this way before?

This group just started. This was our second meeting and the same man asked we discuss the content of people’s writing rather than give feedback on mechanics and style in addition to content. It’s almost like he wants a book club instead of a writing group. 

I joined a writing group that was advertised in my hometown some years back. It turned out to be something of a clique and a gossip session. I said adios pretty quick.

CW has been much, much different and a place where I feel I can actually get encouragement.

• Like 1

I no longer join writer's groups because it's been one amateur telling others what's wrong with their work. I now belong to a SHEG, Super Hardcore Editing Group, which evaluates manuscripts primarily on Story Grid principles, if scenes have the Inciting Incident in the right place, whether scenes are turning on the correct values, and so on. 

In our meeting last night, I found that the first scene of my rewritten first chapter was burying the lede and pushing the Inciting Incident later in the manuscript than optimal. I moved that scene out and the beginning pops. 

There's more information about these kinds of editing groups here:
https://annehawley.net/anne-learns-to-write/

• Like 1

Don’ worry, we don’t bite...at least not generally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Zee said:

Don’ worry, we don’t bite...at least not generally.

evilsmile.gif.362ac5be0c9e1ab270a42d0099b4afae.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only reason I’ve hesitated to post for critique is the magazines I’m submitting to ask that stories not be posted online anywhere. I don’t want to lose an opportunity as a result. Any suggestions how to overcome this?

26 minutes ago, SpecFictionGuy said:

I don’t want to lose an opportunity as a result. Any suggestions how to overcome this?

The Critique Forum is password-protected and you can post there safely, your submissions will not be searchable in any way.

24 minutes ago, Johne said:

your submissions will not be searchable in any way.

That's good to know. I always felt they were safe from our group, but I didn't realize nobody else could get to them.

• Like 1