Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Joe Biden calls for Christians to be Added to Terror Watch List

Here's another one:  

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/12/26/joe-biden-calls-for-christians-to-be-added-to-terror-watch-list-for-opposing-lgbt-abuse-of-children/

While this looks like Joe Biden has just committed political suicide, I still think this should be taken seriously.  The time may have come for Christians to start making plans, about how to handle this like responsible, civilized adults.

Posted (edited)

I'm not a Democrat nor a Biden supporter but his published position differs from this rather frothy reading of a statement where he's trying to curry favor for supporting Alphabet issues.  In this statement, he appears to be trying to curry favor with the Evangelical base. This being politics, nobody should be surprised by that, nor read too much into it.

THE BIDEN PLAN FOR SAFEGUARDING AMERICA’S FAITH-BASED COMMUNITIES
https://joebiden.com/safeguarding-americas-faith-based-communities/

I'm seeing the same agitation from Right-leaning sources trying to rouse Christians into a lather. Here's Scott Adams flogging the faithful on Twitter. (He did the same thing in 2016, so this is nothing new for Adams.)
image.png.4cfbe81b88162614308d3ab4760837bb.png

It would be good for all of us here to pray, take a deep breath, and recognize that bad actors from both sides (from many sides!) are trying to whip Christians into a frenzy. It would be good if we didn't fall for that.

God is sovereign and will remain on His throne, and our marching orders will be the same on November 4th: love God, love our neighbor as ourselves, and make disciples for Jesus Christ.

Edited by Johne
The Presidential election is November 3, 2020, not November 11.

2 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I would like to know the source of this. It does not seem logical.

I agree with carolinamtne, and since my training in school said "always go back to the sources if you can and find out what was really said", I did.

The article referenced, has this quote:

"Former Vice President Joe Biden – who will never be elected president, by the way – has a message for American Christians: If you don’t defect from your faith and embrace leftism, then you’re going to be added to the government’s terror watch list."

But, in the next paragraph, the author linked a video snippet from the town hall. So I followed the link and watched the couple of minutes of video.

Here is what Biden actually said with respect to terrorist groups - that the government needs to: "be able to follow, without violating their 1st amendment rights, to be able to follow what they're doing and follow up on threats that come forward."

There was no indication that Christians were to be considered terrorists. His emphasis was on those who threatened others.

I'm not suggesting Biden is the right answer. I am suggesting that everyone look at the original sources of comments when possible and make up your own minds. There are a lot of people out there with agendas who will mis-quote and willfully misconstrue to sway people thinking.

Johne is right on in his post above: "It would be good for all of us here to pray, take a deep breath, and recognize that bad actors from both sides (from many sides!) are trying to whip Christians into a frenzy. It would be good if we didn't fall for that."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

What is November 12th??

My error. The Presidential election is November 3rd, not the 11th. Edited.

Posted (edited)

I have occasionally said that if I never saw any News reports, and all I knew about the World was based on what was happening in my own life, I'd think that the World was an increasingly benevolent place.  On the other hand, if I only paid attention to News reports, especially the way they are reporting things now, I'd believe just the opposite.

Edited by William D'Andrea

The problem is to determine (and it may not be possible) which news sources are likely to be the least unreliable. Stuff posted on facebook and other such social media tends to relay opinions, not facts.

And we know that there are people out there, not just in this country, who are delighted to divide us as much as possible. Unfortunately, once something is posted, it's like feathers in the wind. You never get them back. The damage is done.

Now I'm thinking that if Joe Biden really had said those things, he'd be getting an open letter from the Pope, insisting that he repent.  He might also be getting similar open letters or e-mails from every American Cardinal, Archbishop, Bishop, etc.  He'd also be hearing from many prominent Leaders of American Protestant Denominations.

Has anyone heard of criticisms coming from any of them?

45 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

And we know that there are people out there, not just in this country, who are delighted to divide us as much as possible. Unfortunately, once something is posted, it's like feathers in the wind. You never get them back. The damage is done.

Nice phrasing, Caronlina!

4 hours ago, Johne said:

It would be good for all of us here to pray, take a deep breath, and recognize that bad actors from both sides (from many sides!) are trying to whip Christians into a frenzy. It would be good if we didn't fall for that.

God is sovereign and will remain on His throne, and our marching orders will be the same on November 4th: love God, love our neighbor as ourselves, and make disciples for Jesus Christ.

We truly do need to pray for our nation. There are some people who I call "rebel-rousers" who just love to keep things stirred up. Our God is bigger than they are. He will make all that we see in the media made right in His eyes. 

• Like 1

The whole problem is that people believe these "news" items put out by those who are either trying to destroy their political opponent or those who just want to destroy our democracy. The "Free Speech" argument protects anything, regardless of its truthfulness. If you say it often enough, or if it goes viral enough, people will believe that the sun sets in the east and rises in the west.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ok, I'm a bit of a political junkie.  I've watched Joe Biden ply his trade over the last 30+ years.  While I am not a fan of the man in any sense of the word, my assessment of what he's said is pretty neutral.  So, take it for what it is.

The thing you have to understand about Joe Biden is that whatever Joe Biden says is subject to change.  Maybe in an hour, or a week, or a year.  He literally says whatever he has to in order to get a vote.  And, unlike other politicians who do the same, he is about as nuanced in this strategy as an angry, charging Rhino.

He was for the Iraq War, strongly defended his vote on the Iraq War, and then when he became VP, he went out on stage and gleefully said that Obama was right, and he was wrong (at the Democrat convention, if I remember correctly).  His position literally "evolved" in a matter of a couple of days.  And that's just one example.  I could go on for hours detailing some of the stuff he's done.

Like all politicians, he has a schtick, and he sticks to it. 

However, the Joe Biden I see running now is NOT the Joe Biden I've seen running for office in the past.  And anybody watching one of his speeches for longer than five minutes can see exactly what I mean.

19 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

The whole problem is that people believe these "news" items put out by those who are either trying to destroy their political opponent or those who just want to destroy our democracy. The "Free Speech" argument protects anything, regardless of its truthfulness. If you say it often enough, or if it goes viral enough, people will believe that the sun sets in the east and rises in the west.

That's unfortunately true. It reminds me of that scene from the second live-action Scooby Doo movie: