Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
carolinamtne

Use of Pixabay pictures

Is there a way to identify the person behind a Pixabay picture? I would like to give them credit when/if I use their picture on my blog.

• Like 1

When you download a Pixabay picture, a box appears at the bottom of the image. It says something to the effect of "give so-and-so credit for this image"--then it lists how you should attribute the photo. I always copy and paste that into my working Word document (e.g., a blog I'm writing). When I upload the photo to my Media folder in Wordpress, I paste the attribution into the caption field. That way it automatically appears directly below the image when I use it in my blog.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Understood that it's voluntary, but it seems like a good idea.

And thank you for helping me find the person to thank.

Edited by carolinamtne

I've been using Pixabay for a few years now, and I never gave credit because I use the stock photos for cover design. I had no idea it was a professional courtesy, but that makes sense. Same with freeimages.com and a few others. 🤔

One thing that you have to be careful with is whether the submitted stock photo on any of those sites is even for legal use and not stolen or uploaded without permission, etc. It can be hard to know if that's ever the case, but I've definitely heard of it happening before. It's probably not super common, but still. Just something to think about. 👍

Don't forget you can always use tineye.com to search. Select oldest and you'll find the uses of it starting with the first time. And you'll find out if you need to pay for it or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, @lynnmosher! I had not heard of tineye.com before. I use Pixabay and Unsplash, always with proper attributions. If we don't know a stock photo has been submitted illegally but give the right attribution, wouldn't the onus be on the photo's "author" and venue instead of us? (I have no idea; just wondering.)

I think that can depend on whether or not the person who, uh, borrowed the image put their own name on it. :rolleyes:

Oh, dear. I noodled around the tineye.com website. Without using MatchEngine (which requires a subscription fee), I don't see at a glance how the site can figure out whether someone put their name on someone else's image. Am I missing something? (Quite possible ... my brain is mush from writing today.)

There's a little selection box on the left. If you choose oldest, you'll see the beginning of the uses. However, it will only show what has been shown. So if someone put their name on someone's image, tineye won't know the difference. It just shows what has appeared. Does that help?

I actually agree with Lynn, and I apologize for causing any worry or distress. I honestly just wanted to point that out because someone pointed that out to me on another writing forum, and I too got worried. But I'm so glad to know that Pixabay is for the most part safe to use. I use that site a whole lot, after all. :) 

And thanks for that link, Lynn! :D 

I have a friend who was sued for using a "royalty free" photo incorrectly, but she got it from a site that was supposed to be royalty free. Fortunately, she attributed it to the person or site, and the lawsuit was dropped against her because the site was supposed to offer royalty free photos. The person she got it from was then sued. It pays to be careful and thorough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triordan said:

I have a friend who was sued for using a "royalty free" photo incorrectly, but she got it from a site that was supposed to be royalty free. Fortunately, she attributed it to the person or site, and the lawsuit was dropped against her because the site was supposed to offer royalty free photos. The person she got it from was then sued. It pays to be careful and thorough.

That was exactly what I was talking about earlier. It probably doesn't happen too often, but yeah. I'm glad Pixabay seems to be good with legit photos, though.

I've posted a huge list several times and thought I had it listed in the directory but I couldn't find it. I know there are several new ones that need to be added. Hang on and I'll update the list. However, it's photos and clipart. I think. If not, I'll put together a bunch of them.

• Like 1

iSTOCKPhoto has a lot of vector art. Lightstock has photos, videos, and vector art. Neither of those are free, but they're much more reasonably priced that Shutterstock.