Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Singing in California Churches is Now Banned.

Jesus said, "“Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24: 4-14)

American Christians as a group have grown weak and flabby. What if you are asked to give up your life for the Lord?  Would you have the strength of faith to do it? The concept of martyrdom is no longer far-fetched in America. Lord, preserve us blameless until Your return!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William D'Andrea said:

If you're wearing a mask while you're singing, shouldn't that be enough?

Actually, no. A mask provides some protection, but singing and shouting project the droplets much farther. I don't know California's rules, but even six feet apart is not enough to protect other choir members.

I do understand the desire to get back to "normal," especially in church, but loving your neighbor, especially when they are church family, implies protecting your neighbor. We already have well over 125,000 deaths in this country. We don't need to lose more church-going people.

"The church is not a building. The church is not a steeple. The church is not a resting place. The church is a people." And we need all of them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think these types of (temporary) pandemic bans aren't targeting Christians. They are part of sweeping bans that affect many. The CA singing ban is for "all houses of worship." That means all religions. 

While I think there's plenty of room for debate over how restrictive/effective these bans are, I don't think it's fair to imply that Christians are being targeted.

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I think these types of (temporary) pandemic bans aren't targeting Christians. They are part of sweeping bans that affect many. The CA singing ban is for "all houses of worship." That means all religions. 

While I thinks there's plenty of room for debate over how restrictive/effective these bans are, I don't think it's fair to imply that Christians are being targeted.

Good point, Accord. My Muslim friends were just as distraught over our local mosques being closed indefinitely as I was over the suspension of "live" church services.  Whether we're trying to sing through a mask without passing out, or re-configuring our prayer lines, I hope and pray that these obstacles and challenges motivate all of us to move closer to God.

Edited by Zee
typo

Our pastor and his wife did some research to formulate steps to re-open our church (in Indiana). They found that congregational singing was the same as everyone coughing at the same time. Our church has been open for three Sundays, tomorrow  (July 5th) will be the forth Sunday.  It will be the first Sunday we will be able to sing. But we will not have hymnals. 

I really don't know the answer to all this. Just what I read and hear,

Posted (edited)

I do understand the frustration about not having life be "normal," but which is more important--keeping our people safe or singing a few songs? I love to sing, but protecting the health of our communities is not targeting Christians.

Restricting large gatherings is not targeting football fans. Social distancing is not targeting restaurants. Wearing a mask is not targeting anyone; it is saving lives. 

Ignoring or fighting these restrictions only prolongs the time the virus is taking lives. Jesus never commanded us to sing in church, but he did tell us to love our neighbor. 

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Thanks 2