Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Violent Leftwing Mob Beat Christians With Sticks

Posted (edited)

The last article I posted, was about calls being made for statues of Jesus to be torn down.

This one is far more disturbing.

https://newsamericanpatriot.com/gunning-for-freedom/watch-violent-leftwing-mob-beat-christians-with-sticks-and-bats-while-dems-cheer-on-2/?aff_id=1262&utm_placement=NAP-GFF

Any ideas about how we Christians should handle situations like this? 

"Love our Enemies"? "Turn the other cheek"?  

Edited by William D'Andrea

Yes, I've read about this. The only thing to do is be prepared to defend yourself. I say by whatever means necessary. Loving and turning the other cheek does not defend you from bodily. harm. Very sad to say.

Two nights ago, there was a 200 car caravan that went through the suburbs, coming within one mile of where we live and driving past the complex where our oldest son lives. There were some arrests. I pray they won't be back.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

The only thing to do is be prepared to defend yourself. I say by whatever means necessary.

Amen!

• Like 1

I remember the scripture: 

"If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

(Romans 12:17-21)

Yes, but you can't stop someone in mid-stride, who is coming after you with a weapon of some sort, and say, "Peace to you, brother. I love you. Jesus loves you." Just won't stop him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Yes, but you can't stop someone in mid-stride, who is coming after you with a weapon of some sort, and say, "Peace to you, brother. I love you. Jesus loves you." Just won't stop him.

Maybe we should be prepared ahead of time?  When they come armed with sticks, they'll find us waiting for them behind tables, that we've piled high with take outs from Starbucks?

Edited by William D'Andrea

I don't know if you meant that as a joke or not. But as I said, be prepared by whatever means.

12 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Maybe we should be prepared ahead of time?  When they come armed with sticks, they'll find us waiting for them behind tables, that we've piled high with take outs from Starbucks?

I like it! Seriously.

I'm just wondering how they know these people are "left-wing." There are plenty of left-wing Christians, and plenty of people who do not like Christians who are not left-wingers. Labeling like this simply stirs the pot, and it's already boiling over.

This is a complex issue, and one that has been faced by many Christians before ourselves. 

I know of many stories where Christians chose to not fight back, even while assailants beat them and demanded that they deny the One who had saved them. They refused, and died for their faith. 

At the same time, I know of people who chose to fight back. 

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German theologian who lived in World War 2, was an integral part in a plan to assassinate Adolf Hitler. He wrestled with how his involvement lined up with what the Bible says. Eventually, he came to the conclusion that "if I see a madman driving a car into a crowd, I can't just stand by, then help the injured and pray for the dead. I must try and wrest the steering wheel out of the hands of the madman." 

In a more recent incident, a church in Cape Town was attacked by armed attackers on 25 July, 1993. 11 were killed, 5 3 injured. One of the congregants was armed with a .38 revolver and opened fire on the assailants, who then fled the scene. Had he not done that, many more would have been killed and petrol bombs thrown into the building. 

When is it right to defend ourselves against attackers? When is it right to turn the other cheek and display our commitment to Christ by following His example in death? Is there even a clear answer to such a question? I think not. Each person must seek God on this point for themselves, seeking for wisdom, seeking for His leading. 

May God lead and guide each of us to an answer that will bring glory to Him. 

• Like 3

I agree. However, I believe there is a difference between being beaten for being a Christian and commanded to reject Christ and being beaten just because someone wants to harm you.

• Like 2

I will protect others, my wife and kids specifically. I don't know that I could ever stand back and let someone willfully harm one of my kids.

But if someone wants to come at me because of my faith, all I can do is take it in the hope that God will use it to show His love through me and maybe plant a seed in that person that will someday bear fruit.

What a crown of glory it would be to be a martyr for Christ AND be the seed that produces the next Apostle Paul or Billy Graham!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, lynnmosher said:

We always have the right to defend ourselves, but we alone have the privilege to love our enemies, and yes, even die at their hands.  For us death is a doorway to heaven. For our enemies it is a path to hell. Martyrs through the ages have believed It is a small thing to die in order to give the other a chance to repent.

I am theoretically a pacifist.  But if the lives of others around me are at stake, I may backslide. We pray that we don't have to make those choices.

5 hours ago, BobJ said:

I am theoretically a pacifist.  But if the lives of others around me are at stake, I may backslide. We pray that we don't have to make those choices.

Man, there is a lot to think about in this post.

What bothers me the most about it is the effort to enflame Christians and blame others, specifically those of a political party. I don't think the purpose is to share information as much as to spread anger and hate and blame.

Like that other email, I wonder who is spreading this information (misinformation?) and why.