Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

"The more I worked with successful authors, the more I saw that email lists played a central role in the marketing strategy."

Tim Grahl, literary agent

This comment surprised me.  I have never used them before, but if Tim recommends them, I'll take a second look.  He says that authors receive 50 sales with emails for every 1 sale for Social Media posts. 

What success have you had with email lists, or not?  What do you have to develop your email list?

Edited by suspensewriter

I am not sure how he got his email list.  But one way to get email is if you have a website.  People can sign up for information ,and you collect emails that way.

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Yeah, like a list of people to email to.

Oh, those emails.  😉

2 hours ago, jennifer1113 said:

But one way to get email is if you have a website.  People can sign up for information ,and you collect emails that way.

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Ah- that would work, @jennifer1113 .  So far, have you had any luck with that?

That would work, wouldn't it. BTW, I've had no luck with that. Must be doing something wrong. 

No, I am not the best at promoting myself at all.  So I am not the best one to ask for with success.  Sorry I cannot be more helpful.  Maybe some else has the secret ingredient we are looking for?

Just now, jennifer1113 said:

No, I am not the best at promoting myself at all.  So I am not the best one to ask for with success.  Sorry I cannot be more helpful.  Maybe some else has the secret ingredient we are looking for?

This may not be of help to anyone writing fiction. My site was for devotionals, so people would sign up for them. When I closed my site, I still had my email list for the newsletter I started. It really is the way to connect. Giving something away is also one of the best ways to gather names. Still working on a couple of things, even for my newsletter. Don't know if this helps any. ???

Well, let me think. That was quite awhile ago. After I started my site, I joined Facebook and Twitter. I was invited to write for a couple other sites and later on, wrote for more sites. I really have not sought names except on rare occasions. I just interacted with others, friending people. I put out a link to my post on FB and Twitter and accumulated signups. :rolleyes:

Yup. I put myself out there, which was REALLY hard for this ol' introvert. Who has come out of her shell in some ways. But I found going out on the internet was easier for me than in person. Developing relationships was what it was all about.

In all seriousness, check out Chris Fox on YouTube, he has quite a bit to say about lists.