Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I Thought This Was Interesting

Posted (edited)

These are the breakdowns of published Christian fiction in the Kindle marketplace, the price points:

Market: Christian Fiction

60%    $0.99

15%    $1.99

5%      $2.99

0%      $3.99

5%      $4.99 

5%      $5.99

0%      $6.99-$12.9

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Very interesting!

That only adds up to 90%. I wonder, was the last 10% "Free"?

A troubling trend, in my opinion. Too many feel they have to price low to sell. I've read many viewpoints on the $0.99 threshold, a majority of them negative. 

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

Yeah, that is troubling.  The other 10% was a scattering of higher prices than $12.99, and their sales were really low.  But those are actual figures for the Christian market.

Well, that explains a few things. Like @Accord64, the question I have is why we're undercutting ourselves like that.

Is that, 60% of books are selling at .99?  Or 60% of books are priced at .99, selling or not?  

If those are the figures for what books are actually selling, it seems like .99 cents is pretty much the only price point worth trying.

But that means you have to sell at least four books to make a dollar (at least on Amazon) and that’s asking a lot for obscure authors.

Surely a lot of those books are worth more than that, but the heavily discounted trend will be practically impossible to reverse...

I'm wondering about the sales at the various price points. 99¢ is that magical "less than a dollar" point, but it's where I'd be putting a short story or novella. I've heard that $2.99 is best for a novel.