Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Joshua Benefiel

To Those Who Have Known Loss

Posted (edited)

So, just a quick vent here:

Late 2019 I lost my current project to a rogue Word save/ reformatted jump drive. Thankfully, I had half of it printed out and most of the rest still hand-written (which is usually how I write: long-form, then editing as I type it out).  I have tried to use this time to shape, edit and improve as I've re-crafted my project. I feel like I've accomplished my goal in this frustrating process, which included moving away from Word and to Scrivener (which has been great).

Yet, I have come to a place in my rewrite where I had this amazing character development scene that I do not have written out to re-write. I have a few sentences that I apparently expounded on and shaped at some point in the past, but didn't follow through and handwrite it out anywhere...

I am just beside myself AT myself... I know that I will come up with something for this spot, but I don't know that I can recapture the raw emotion and pain that I had developed the first time through.

Let this be a lesson to you, anyone as foolish as I was to not backup my work regularly: don't trust just that one jump drive or save file on your computer. And make good notes for yourself! You never know when you're going to need to start over without notice.

Edited by Joshua Benefiel
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear about your struggle with this!

I can't imagine how it must have felt for the perfect scene to slip through your grasp.

Thank you for sharing your lesson learned!

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. It was a gut-punch to go through to be sure, but it turned out well (aside from this one scene that I'm struggling to re-write). Re-writing the whole thing allowed me to make some very positive edits and shift the perspectives in some areas, things that I probably wouldn't have done if I hadn't had to do it.

Trying to re-craft this is like having a fragment of a treasured dream from ages ago that you're trying to remember... I know what I what to say, but I can't quite remember all of the important pieces that were in it.

I will come up with something. Just hoping it will be as good as what I'd done before.

• Like 2

Sorry for your misfortune. I have suffered from lost files and it is demoralizing.

I occasionally email a copy of my current work to myself. That way it is backed up by the email service.

• Like 3

I feel your pain. I had a key drive with important information on it. $900 later the information was restored to me. That was about 20 years ago. I hope it is cheaper now. 

Even physical writing gets destroyed.  I had a notebook that got soaked in mosquito repellent.  Only the parts written in pencil survived! 

I'm really sorry to hear of your data crash. I think most of us have been there to one extent or another.

But, I suspect, given that you feel you have made many positive edits in the rewrite, you will find when you do recreate the scene it will be better than the original. You did it once and that is still in you (or in your muse); plus you have grown as a writer since then.

Good  luck. 

• Like 1

As has been said - I think we have all been there.

It is a lesson well learnt. I lost some meditations for a book some years ago. My portable hard disk got corrupted and my laptop gave up the ghost. Thankfully I had most of my work on CDs.

Nowadays I back up all work - writing and ministry - regularly on a portable disk. Upload all my writing on my google drive and use a USB disk each time I work on some writing.   

But don't worry I suspect when you get around to writing that scene it will be better than the original.