Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

So I followed the advice of those who said that Bookbub is the place to be (online) and set up an account. But I really have no idea what to do with it or where to go from there.

What do you all do with yours (assuming you have them?)

How does a Bookbub account help you to publicize/sell more books?

I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas...

You know @Zee, I did the same thing for the same reason and the only thing I see is that it's just like Goodreads with less flaming. You can post what you like about books you've read, an blog, an author page and spend money on advertising. At least it's not owned by Amazon (Wish I'd had known that before I signed up for Goodreads). I really which I could tell you more.

Z, you can always cancel your account at Goodreads or just don't go there. There's no reason you can't have an account at both, is there?

Maileite says it has forms that can be used with Bookbub to sign people up for your newsletters. I don't know how it works, but it would be worth looking into. 🤔 I think @EBraten and maybe @Accord64 use it. If I remember correctly, I might be wrong too. 

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Z, you can always cancel your account at Goodreads or just don't go there. There's no reason you can't have an account at both, is there?

No, no reason at all which is why I still do. It's just what I found out about the site. More about selling ad space at both than reading and reviewing which is what I thought it was about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zx1ninja said:

You know @Zee, I did the same thing for the same reason and the only thing I see is that it's just like Goodreads with less flaming. You can post what you like about books you've read, an blog, an author page and spend money on advertising. At least it's not owned by Amazon (Wish I'd had known that before I signed up for Goodreads). I really which I could tell you more.

That’s kind of what I figured—but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a key piece of this marketing puzzle.

BTW, while I still cannot share book reviews on Amazon, I realized I am able to on Kobo and Barnes&Noble, so I went to add my review to your book on those sites, but I couldn’t find it. Do you have it there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zx1ninja said:

No, no reason at all which is why I still do. It's just what I found out about the site. More about selling ad space at both than reading and reviewing which is what I thought it was about.

Yeah. Unfortunately, so true. Wish someone would start a straight-up site! o_O:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Yeah. Unfortunately, so true. Wish someone would start a straight-up site! o_O:rolleyes:

Why doesn't Rebecca start one?

Yes, that's actually what I'm working on. A storytelling platform. 🙂 Care to give me some ideas on what features you'd find most useful?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Advertising, for one!

The ability to purchase advertising to bump your book or listing to the top of the site, or something different?

• Like 1

Just now, suspensewriter said:

Yes.  And book marketing, too.

When you say book marketing, can you tell me specifically what kind of tools you'd find useful?

3 hours ago, Zee said:

I realized I am able to on Kobo and Barnes&Noble, so I went to add my review to your book on those sites, but I couldn’t find it. Do you have it there?

Sadly no, not yet anyway. But thank you for taking the time to try. I may add it there after I'm no longer exclusive with KDP.

Bookbub seems to be efficient if you recommend a few books and start getting a following and get people who have a following to read/review/recommend your book. I've gotten sales from people with followers recommending my book on Bookbub. I have not paid for any advertising on Bookbub as of now.

How do you go about doing that? I think Goodreads and Bookbub work essentially the same way, and it's not complicated in theory, but how do you get people to "follow" you? I am practically social media illiterate...

Hey, @EBraten! Is Bookbub one of the ones that you can use to give out free short stories, and other free hooks? 

6 minutes ago, Zee said:

I think Goodreads and Bookbub work essentially the same way,

I don't have an answer, but I love the question! 

That would be a good thing for Rebecca to plan for, Alley, a place where, as part of your marketing, you could give away free books.  Good idea.

Rebecca, a site where a magic genie takes the book, puts up brilliant reviews, and convinces thousands of people to buy it. All the writer has to do is write it and put it on your site. Is that asking too much?

43 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Rebecca, a site where a magic genie takes the book, puts up brilliant reviews, and convinces thousands of people to buy it. All the writer has to do is write it and put it on your site. Is that asking too much?

LOL!! 😄 Hey, if we're gonna dream, might as well dream big! 👍