Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Nice! Thank you for sharing this with us. 

It's a different tune than the one I learned, but it's still a wonderful song.

Yes, one of my favorites, if not my VERY favorite. And the rich meaning of why it was written gives it even more depth. I'm very leery, from the current attitude in this country, that this song will be on the b-l-a-c-k list in more ways than one. Because of its origin. Very sad time. Thank you, Y!

In case you didn't know that Amazing Grace is played on the black keys...

At Carnegie Hall, gospel singer Wintley Phipps delivers perhaps the most powerful rendition of Amazing Grace ever recorded. He says, "A lot of people don't realize that just about all Negro spirituals are written on the black notes of the piano. Probably the most famous on this slave scale was written by John Newton, who used to be the captain of a slave ship, and many believe he heard this melody that sounds very much like a West African sorrow chant. And it has a haunting, haunting plaintive quality to it that reaches past your arrogance, past your pride, and it speaks to that part of you that's in bondage. And we feel it. We feel it. It's just one of the most amazing melodies in all of human history."

34 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

In case you didn't know that Amazing Grace is played on the black keys...

I did not know that. Thank goodness it only has one flat in my hymnal. I can play the melody all on black keys, but it would really drive me nuts to dry to play the accompaniment that way too!

On 6/28/2020 at 1:36 PM, carolinamtne said:

Nice! Thank you for sharing this with us. 

It's a different tune than the one I learned, but it's still a wonderful song.

A lot of times I tend to sing more harmony than the main tune.  I did that all the time when I was going to church.

I have discovered that some of the oldies have different tunes. But the message is the same, and you sing it well.

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

they have different tunes?

Not all the oldies do, but some of them. Moving from one denomination to another, I found that out. Everyone else was singing a different tune than I was.