Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Since this name was already used in the book Heidi, is it okay if I use it for the lead in my book?

• Like 1

I don't think there's a problem with you naming a character Heidi. I just wouldn't make her a little girl who lives in the Swiss Alps :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are loads of Heidis, both in real life and in stories, so no issue with that. However, I wouldn't call your book "Heidi." That might get confusing.

• Like 2

I agree with Zee - if you call your book Heidi, chances are that people won't find it because Joanna Spyri's book will be what they find, and it might be confusing for readers. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The novelist William Faulkner wrote a book about a small community along the Mississippi River, which he titled "The Hamlet".

When the novel was made into a movie, they decided to change the title, so that no one would mistakenly believe that the actor Paul Newman would be appearing a movie version of Shakespeare's Hamlet; so they titled it, "The Long Hot Summer",

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

I agree with Zee - if you call your book Heidi, chances are that people won't find it because Joanna Spyri's book will be what they find, and it might be confusing for readers. 

Good advice... Although I've got a true story: A young man who works at my local library wrote a book and called it Becoming. Mere months later Michelle Obama released her incredibly popular book by the same name. I asked the young man if it hurt his book, and he believes more people have found his book because of it. Of course, he didn't do this intentionally, and I wouldn't ever recommend someone try to confuse people, but I found it interesting. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Since this name was already used in the book Heidi, is it okay if I use it for the lead in my book?

Sarah,

Call your book, Not That Heidi. 😀

• Haha 4

Anyone here remember the Cocky trademark kerfuffle? (A romance writer attempted to trademark that single word to make it exclusive to a series of books.)

I changed the name of a character because a similar name came up in a prominent science fiction series because my character was totally different. But "Heidi" is perfectly fine. "Cher" was used for comic effect in a movie, and I don't think anyone had to clear it with the living actress/singer known by that single name.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 11:35 PM, Sarah Daffy said:

I think you should write a book about a Swiss gal named Heidi who always gets mistaken for that other girl named Heidi.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

I think you should write a book about a Swiss gal named Heidi who always gets mistaken for that other girl named Heidi.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. :D

• Like 1