Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

I didn't know what else to call this thread.

Does anyone every get to a stage in their work where they think it is a pile of rubbish?

I am critiquing work on this site (which I enjoy doing and greatly admire the work those who post) and I am going through a hard copy of  Granny Annie  to edit/amend. I am just struggling a bit here.  I know you should never compare your writing to another but it almost impossible to do. I keep thinking why is my writing so flat?  Why didn't I think of that expression?  I hope it is jut a phase.

I am interested to know if anyone else experiences this and if so, how you deal with it?

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 1

No, you're writing isn't flat, Shamrock.  Believe me- if it was, I'd tell you.  You're just going through a down phase is all, where you're being unduly self-critical.  It's common enough among writers.

Since my stroke, I am unduly happy just to be writing, but soon enough, I'll go through my down phase, and then up and again, and so on.  It's the way off writing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I nearly always hit a point, generally right when I'm just about done with whatever it is I'm working on, that I just look at it and go, "This is incredibly lame." Then I let it rest a few days, go back again and think, "It's not so bad."

Here's hoping you'll be thinking the same way soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From my experience, it's not a phase. It's actually good that you want to make your writing better than it is. I'm part of a paid online writing group and they're constantly making lessons about how you should harness those emotions and use them to make your writing better rather than tearing yourself down.

My advice would be to be proud of that feeling. be proud that you're constantly straining yourself to make your writing better. Give yourself a stern look in the mirror and say, "You're a writer. You're a good writer. Now make your writing better." Most importantly, remind yourself that God gave you this passion for a reason. He made you writing the way it is. He gave you that feeling. Now push through. 

I've read some of your work on the critique forum, Shamrock. It's very strong and clear, something to be proud of. Just push through. Continue using your passion to the wonderful Glory of God. 

Hope I helped. 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have heard writers more accomplished than I say, "Let it perk." By that they mean, let it rest a day or so and come back to it.  When we do this, we see the places that need fixing and all those typos that got by us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Does anyone every get to a stage in their work where they think it is a pile of rubbish?

Yep, I've definitely been there many times! It's not fun... Normally, if you let the part you think is bad sit for a little bit, you'll come back and see it's way better than you thought. At least that's what happens to me.

3 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I keep thinking why is my writing so flat?  Why didn't I think of that expression?

You write well! Everyone has a different style of writing. Some people really love a flowery, poetic style, while others prefer a more to the point style.

2 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

This happens to me a lot, especially since I got sick last year. 

Oh, dear! Are you feeling better? 😟

• Like 3

Just now, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Oh, dear! Are you feeling better? 😟

It's gotten better but I'm slowly getting there. 😉

• Like 1

@Shamrock, there is so much good advice here that I don't have much to add! Just know that you are not alone, and always remember that when God calls us to write, then that is more than enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ditto. We should not be the judges of our own work. Community is the answer and I'm glad you reached out. 

• Like 1

I'm late... Again. 😬

We all feel like this sometimes. But God gave you this story because he knew you would be the one to do it for his glory. It might be fiction, but that's ok. 

Colossians 3:23 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters

See! You've got this! 😊 And we are all here to support you along the way! 🙂

• Like 2

Well, as has already been stated, there's been good stuff already said. i will tell you, again, that you are not alone. which again has been said. I'm just coming out of one of mine. Take the advice here and just step back for a bit. Especially when it feels like work. It will come back.

• Like 2

A little late to the party, as usual. :$

On 6/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, Shamrock said:

Yes! At just about every stage. Most of the time it's all in my head. But sometimes it really is bad. And that's okay, because that's part of the writing process. 

I'm most worried when I think my story is perfect.

writing-is-hard-or-youre-doing-it-wrong-f.-scott-fitzgerald-on-writing-cursive-content.jpg.11010a91b5dc6ab8fe6cfbd612bbda9c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Well, as has already been stated, there's been good stuff already said. i will tell you, again, that you are not alone. which again has been said. I'm just coming out of one of mine. Take the advice here and just step back for a bit. Especially when it feels like work. It will come back.

Good to see you @zx1ninja! We are comforted so that we may comfort. 2 Cor 1:4  

Shamrock, you can believe Z, and me, and these others. We been der and done dat and have the community to prove it! 

• Like 2

I am singularly unmotivated today. It happens to us all. I hated a recent chapter that I wrote. Rewriting made it a little better, but it still feels weak.

Today I am writing a chapter where my research turned up excellent ideas, possibly even original ones. Again, I am finding it impossible to reduce those ideas to words and make them interesting. Prayer, rest, and more prayer may be the answer, for you and for me. 

I read somewhere a story about a donkey that fell into a (hand-dug, so bigger around) well. It was deep enough that the owner couldn't get him out. Finally, he called his friends and then began throwing dirt into the hole to bury the donkey. The donkey, very much still alive, chose not to be buried. He shook off each shovelful of dirt that landed on him and, as the dirt piled up, he stepped up onto it. Eventually, they filled the hole and the donkey walked out.

Sometimes we throw dirt onto ourselves. So just keep shaking it off and stepping up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant story Caroline.

Thank everyone for your support. I think the meds I am having to take at moment are not helping as I am usually a positive kind of person. 

Feeling better now. God bless.

Posted (edited)

Gonna add my two cents even though it's late..and it's been said by everyone else.

Do I ever feel like my writing is garbage...yes.

As others have said, you're not alone. Everyone goes through it. Also, you've bravely chosen to put your work up for critiques. Not many people are willing to be critiqued and you can tell by their attitude. They post to get likes, not to learn. You however, even feeling like your writing is lacking, continue to post, continue to learn, and continue to grow as a writer.

There have been several times I've looked at something you've written and thought, "hey, I wish I would have thought of that."

Keep at it Shamrock. 

Edited by RockyMtn Gal

I took my advice to you this weekend. I prayed, got some rest and prayed some more. Then I wrote twenty pages. Not the greatest twenty pages, but they were logical and tightly structured, so that is a start.

Think of the people you might help, whether to inspire or to instruct or to distract for an hour from their troubles. They are waiting. They need you. Pray for them and to be given the words to reach them.

One thing that was holding me up was ignorance. I was trying to explain a passage of scripture, but its meaning was not clear and complete enough in my mind. The only remedy was to read and reread it, to chew on it for hours. It is God's Word. To read and reread it should not be a burden but a privilege. 

Whatever is your obstacle, savor the work of removing it. Research, meditation, talks with friends... Let the work draw you closer to the one who knows the answer and also knows you.

When I have a bad day, when I begin to question "Who would even read this?", I always have to come back to what my purpose for writing is: I write because it brings my heart alive and I am telling this specific story because it is one that God gave me to tell. Whether anyone ever reads what I have to say, I'm telling it for my joy and to be obedient, which brings God joy.