Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
EClayRowe

YouTube-- A Youngster's Game

There's a fine to-do over on Reddit about the age of self-styled writing experts who post advice on YouTube.

As a beginning writer of retirement age, I have noticed how young most of the posters appear to be and I'm curious about their credentials. Of course, they are selling something, whether it be a book, a course, a subscription; these videos are often a teaser.

I guess I should stick with the writing advice already recommend here. Like C.S. Lakin and K.M. Weiland. 

What are they saying about YouTube? Are they against it? Giving things away on one's website or in a video is essential to gaining subscribers. Maybe I'm confused at what you're saying.

Posted (edited)

On Reddit, the controversy is about credentials, whether a young person is qualified to give writing advice because they are able to present themselves well on social media.

The general consensus is that most of the "free advice" is a click-funnel and the age of the presenter is irrelevant. Like looking in a shop window before deciding to go into a store. (And, yes, I know the simile is dated.)

Edited by EClayRowe

Ahh, yes, credentials. And youth. If they had a track record of accomplishments, they would be believable. Like the line from Jerry Maguire, "Show me the money!" In writing, we would say, "Show me your credentials!" Just my two coppers' worth! ;):rolleyes::D

I watch a lot of plotting/writing advice on YouTube. The people I tend to get more out of are the ones who aren't selling a product (other than their video itself, which earns money through clicks). 

Some of the advice is mediocre, some of it is great. I don't think age is the factor so much as amount of research. The good ones are the ones who constantly reference popular vs. unpopular works and talk about what went right with one vs. what went wrong with the other. They lay it out and it's helpful for people like me who aren't always fully caught up on popular TV shows or books. The good ones also don't talk about what they did that's so great in their own writing. They always point to others' work as the example. I would say the good ones are analysts, not salespeople. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

To be truthful, I don't watch them anymore because either I can write or not.

It's largely  for a decision in what I'm going to invest time or money in.  I divested several newsletters that seemed more interested in selling me courses than anything else. I stopped following some podcasts and unsubscribed to some feeds. 

I only watch selected individuals, and even now I'm no longer following any of them...except Terrible Writing Advice.  That one I HIGHLY recommend (mainly because of my twisted sense of humor).

You can sum up their collective advice into the following bullet items:

1) Some tropes are overused.

2) Show, don't tell.

3) No purple prose.

4) You need a starting chapter that grabs the reader's attention.

5) I don't like <insert disliked fiction here>.

6) Multiple social media platforms for marketing.

7) Lots of vague advice on dialog, action, romance, and so on.

Then they promote their works and their member / subscription benefits.

I got more and better feedback posting some of my stuff here for critique, then any of those videos.

I still recommend Terrible Writing Advice, though.