Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
jellicochris

Hello from Jellico, TN

My name is Chris Stringer. I am 36 years old and I live in Jellico, TN. I was a Youth Pastor for 4 years and an Encourager Coach for Celebrate Recovery for 6 years. I attended Grace Christian University to pursue an Associate degree in Leadership/Ministry. I had a wonderful relationship with the Lord, and a great relationship with people.

About 2 years ago, I began drinking again. I did not realize why I picked the bottle back up until maybe 3 months ago. I lost my grandmother on my mother’s side and it triggered something inside me. When I was 12 years old, I lost my grandmother on my father’s side, and I used alcohol to deal with the pain. I realized that I returned to that 12-year-old little boy that was hurting and tried to run from the pain instead of trusting God and growing closer to Him through it.

I turned my back on God and my entire family. I was in denial with everything that was going on and luckily, God pulled me out of it. It came at a great cost. I caused damage to my relationship with God and all those in my life that love me the most.

On July 1st I will have 3 months sober from alcohol. My relationship with the Lord is growing and being restored 😊 but the earthly consequences of my sinful behavior still haunt me.

I never liked to read and write. I struggled with college with having to read and write so much (laugh out loud). My love for reading started as I met Jesus Christ and wanted to know Him more. I found Him in each page of Scripture and learnt just a little more about His characteristics and who He is. My love for writing began with an assignment that my professor gave me one day.

He told me to go to the Dollar General store, park the car and just sit there and take everything in. He told me after I had done that for a few moments, to start writing. He told me to write based on the five senses – what I could touch, describe in detail what I could see, what I could hear all the way down to the wind blowing a leaf across the parking lot, the sensation of what I smelt, and if I could taste. I remember describing the sensation of the piece of gum I was chewing at that moment 😊.

After I wrote a 5-page paper in the parking lot that day, writing changed for me and the way I saw things changed for me. And now – here I am 😊. Glad to have found this site and all the wonderful people in it. God bless!

• Like 2

Whoa! Hallelujah! Way to go, Chris! That is awesome! We're so glad you joined our writing family. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing and may the Lord bless your efforts to stay sober. And may He heal your relationships. :D

• Like 1

Welcome! That's an amazing testimony. Thank you so much for sharing! That was also a cool story about writing at the end. Glad you're here!

• Like 1

Welcome to CW and (most importantly) welcome back to Christ! 🙂 Its great to meet you and congratulation. Three months is so close! 😃

• Like 1