Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

Plot versus Character

1 hour ago, PenName said:

@Jeff Potts, the recent Star Wars movies are such a mess that I don't know if I can call them plot or character driven.

Sadly, more than a few modern movies are merely SFX-driven; character and plot are almost nuisances that have to be vaguely satisfied, somehow. As technology for newer and better effects comes available, the stories almost seem constructed so as to allow them to use the effects to the fullest. It often limits the story, but can even put limits on the genre.

F'rexample, studio backlots are expensive to maintain and upgrade, and location shooting can quickly burn through a budget. The recent tech called Digital Backlot  totally erases these problems, but it originally had a flat look, vaguely like a realistic comic book background. Ever wonder why so many movies started getting made about comic books? Now, the technology is better, but comics movies have become "a thing". And they give so many opportunities to show off more SFX...

• Like 2

What’s SFX? Not familiar with the acronym.

• Thanks 1

Sorry... SFX is a movie term, not a writing one, so I'm making presumptions on people that I shouldn't... SFX means Special Effects.

I thought it was a gentle way to write a word using the letter next to the middle letter--sex. What do I know about movies?

12 hours ago, Wes B said:

Sorry... SFX is a movie term, not a writing one, so I'm making presumptions on people that I shouldn't... SFX means Special Effects.

Right—these are the kinds of movies that appear to have been made by teenage boys with too much time on their hands.

1 hour ago, Zee said:

Right—these are the kinds of movies that appear to have been made by teenage boys with too much time on their hands.

Or maybe, made FOR teenage boys with too much time on their hands. Made by people who know that these teenage boys have extra money, who also know that they want some of it, and who know of buttons they can push to extricate some of it...

That's not to disparage anyone here who enjoys the films. Some have reasonable stories, and most are visual and technical treats. We each enjoy what we each enjoy. In fact, my now-grown daughter saw most of the earlier star Wars films first with me, when she was growing up. She now still travels five hours to come see each new one with me; I wouldn't change a thing. Some traditions work, just because...

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies except the first three, and I'm still undecided about the rest of them.  I think I'll leave it at the first three, though.

7 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies except the first three, and I'm still undecided about the rest of them.  I think I'll leave it at the first three, though.

Hey, @suspensewriter, if you like the originals, I recommend watching Rogue One. You can leave the rest alone but that one is pretty good and connects right into the first one from 1977.

4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

All right- you were right- it was cool!

Yay! Glad you liked it! 

I did.   I really enjoyed it.  Now I'm watching a series called The Mandalorian, which is a Star Wars universe based thing.  I really enjoy it, so far.  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 8:09 AM, suspensewriter said:

I did.   I really enjoyed it.  Now I'm watching a series called The Mandalorian, which is a Star Wars universe based thing.  I really enjoy it, so far.  

Oh yay! I thought about recommending that series, but it was a TV show and requires a little more investment. I think it and Rogue One remind me most of the original movies. I hope you enjoy!

On 6/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, paulchernoch said:

The four elements are milieu, idea, character and event. He calls it MICE for short.

Thank you for the teaching!  I can understand and hope to apply the MICE!

Study humans. You'll never run out of material for plot or character!