Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I am new to this. I have an idea for a story. I am not sure I can write the whole story but I have the title and the storyline. A young man becomes a pastor like his father before him. Nobody knew the years of sexual abuse this young pastor went through at the hands of his father.  

When the young pastor has a son of his own he vows that the cycle of abuse ends.  I call it "The Altered Boy"  What do you think ? 

Keith, I moved your thread here to the writers' forum where it's a better fit.

Hmmm...sounds interesting.

No, I think he's asking for help - if it's a good idea or not - rather than a job connection. Don't you think?

Thank you Lynn. It is a brand new idea. I am not sure , really , how to begin, but if another writer thinks that this is a good idea and would like to collaborate, I might be interested. Provided they leave me just a small piece of their coattail to ride on. 

I think this would be a very hard book to write. There would be much research involved and much sensitivity required.  Too many people have experienced this abuse to tread lightly.

I am happy to hear of the redemptive theme in your idea! You will give victims and their families great hope that God brings good out of evil and never leaves His children in distress. 

Why don't you start writing, no matter how bad the actual writing seems. Be encouraged, most of us started with a burning urge and manuscripts we burned later. This is a craft, a skill that is learned and, may I say, you have come to the right place to learn!  This forum is full of all the right kind of knowledge to begin a writing adventure!

I look forward to seeing your name around here!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nicola said:

I think this would be a very hard book to write. There would be much research involved and much sensitivity required.  Too many people have experienced this abuse to tread lightly.

I am happy to hear of the redemptive theme in your idea! You will give victims and their families great hope that God brings 

Thank you for the encouragement.  Maybe instead of sexual we change it to a verbal or physical abuse ( a little easier pill to swallow ). 

Also i have another thread here about a book I call The Body of Chris. I posted the first 2 chapters and have received some good feedback.  I might continue on. I was also thinking of switching it to a screenplay.  Thanks again for your kindness.

5 minutes ago, keith1969 said:

a verbal or physical abuse ( a little easier pill to swallow )

It might be an easier book to write from the standpoint of an outside, but it is not easier to swallow if you're the victim.

55 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

It might be an easier book to write from the standpoint of an outside, but it is not easier to swallow if you're the victim.

Agreed. That is what I meant. Easier from a writer's perspective.  Thank you. 

My heart goes out to you. Do we write the easier book for ourselves?  Or is God calling you to write the really hard one?  How do we make the edgy redemptive? 

You must examine your heart. Think about your history with abuse, if you have one. Think about your family. Talk to a psychologist. Go in with your eyes wide open and stocks in a tissue company. 

And then you can consider what words to use!  

I am excited that you received good feedback at the Critique Forum!  Keep working hard at your craft as you find how God's heart lies with this profound idea. 

Good point Nicola. I have not suffered abuse personally. But I will wait and pray and see where God leads. I currently have a 20K word story that I am sharing. I am mostly an "idea guy". I write poems and I have a couple of plays that can be turned around and made into screenplays (maybe) . Who knows at this point.  I used to write for myself but I feel it is time to write for others.   Thank you again for your support and kind words.

I'm not into collaborating but your titles are clever.

Interesting thread.

I have to agree with Nicola & Claire - very difficult subject to write about.

However, if you were to venture down that route one approach might be to write as  a series of letters between father and son reflecting on the impact of the abuse given and received.  i.e the history of the father's own suffering (the pastor) and his struggle not to let history repeat itself.  The son's react as he learns of his father's story

Another approach would be to  have the pastor  writing to his father who abused him.  You could then have the older father write from the perspective of someone who lacks the understanding of the impact on others of  their actions and who tries to justify themselves (often by blaming others). 

You could split the book into two parts -

Part 1 - Letters between older father (abuser) and son 

Part 2 - Son (Now a father himself) and his son.

Ambitious but doable.

Just a thought.

But do your research first and be very clear about how you will portray the abuse in  a manner that does not in anyway endorse it.

Hope that helps.