Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Ragamuffin_John

The Redemptive Face of Art

Posted (edited)

I’m thinking of visual arts here, and I suppose the theme has been thoroughly discussed.  I’m reminded of C.S. Lewis now, about how the idea of beauty from its many angles is a God-given one.   It feels awkward to suggest, but there is even beauty among us during this COVID-19 pandemic.   Beauty, because God is real and active.

I gave the flowery opening to set up the question:    Why is the graphic of a hideous virus cell (or whatever it is) so predominantly used to supplement written and visual discussion about the virus?   Why can’t there be images of caring, of convalescence, of research—anything to get beyond the ominous images of a molecular hun that ravages the world and leaves people fearful and despairing?   

It is as if back room editors are thinking “Puff the Grief”.    There need to be visual presentations that install courage, resolve and vision.  

I’m at the point that when I see any drawing of those impishly spiked red balls, I want to take out a golf club and drive them far off the course.   Not out of denial.   I just want something constructive so that during the struggle there are images that more readily move me to breathe In hope.  Positive propaganda of a sort.   Like, change Rosie the Riveter to a nurse.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John

1 hour ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

I’m at the point that when I see any drawing of those impishly spiked red balls, I want to take out a golf club and drive them far off the course.

Man, I couldn't agree with you more!

Hmm, interesting line of thinking this. I never considered that people would see the virus imagery as this negative. Honestly, I am pretty fascinated by it (Blame my childhood love of biology) so when I see the image, I see the incredible way (and yes also scary way) that it is able to attach to other cells to propagate. Viruses actually have super interesting designs and ways of interacting, and as scary as one that we don't understand is, there is still beauty in it's design.