Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

When I shared my first cover, folks were divided over whether it was meant to be a suspense novel or a self-help book. Clearly, the time had come to design more covers.

Here's what I've come up with so far. (I have to say I do still like my original cover the best, but I understand the necessity of sacrificing personal artistic preferences for genre clarity.)

1. is my original cover.

Means of Grace.jpg

2. is my second favorite, though I don't love it.

Grace.png

3. I don't like this one, but I made it just because I could.

halliwell stud.jpg

4. And this one, believe it or not, is a re-run of a very misguided romance cover.

Means of Grace.jpg

Edited by Zee

Of this lot, I think number 2 is clearly the best... but not necessarily the right cover.

Can I be bold, because I think I might understand what you're feeling? I had a rough time letting go of a certain image for a cover. I struggled to come up with something better because I couldn't let go of my original idea. Once I did, my creative energies reignited and I was finally able to come up with something much better. But it was a difficult road. In fact, I wrote a blog about this a while back that I've shared here before. 

If you're interested: My DIY Book Cover Blunders

If not, feel free to ignore. 😉

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

Of this lot, I think number 2 is clearly the best... but not necessarily the right cover.

At this point, I'm most interested in a cover that will catch the eye of readers looking for suspense and make them try my book--so if no. 2 does that, it will be the one I go with, even if I don't personally prefer it.

Thanks for sharing your own experience in the article. Looks like you've made great progress in the right direction.

Out of those that are displayed, I like your original idea (# 1) it provokes my curiosity. Personally I'd pick it up and at the very least read the insert.  

I don't think any of those covers is right, Zee.  I think it's the title you've picked, too.  Means of Grace just doesn't seem suspenseful.  I'm sorry.  You've got to keep trying.

9 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I don't think any of those covers is right, Zee.  I think it's the title you've picked, too.  Means of Grace just doesn't seem suspenseful.  I'm sorry.  You've got to keep trying.

Well, what about "Second Chance" or "Last Chance?" Those were my alternative titles.

What about this one? I think it's an improvement...

Chance.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know, I think I'll wait and see what others say. The main thing is, does the cover look like it's meant to be a suspense story? I think it does, but I thought so before, too, so I don't really trust my judgment anymore.

6 minutes ago, Zee said:

The main thing is, does the cover look like it's meant to be a suspense story?

Yes, it definitely does!

12 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

but you've got to have a pretty face.

:D  As a reader, I'd much rather have the person on the front match the character described in the story.

Also, maybe you should look at the title a little more. One More Chance is a pretty popular title, and you don't want your book to get lost among all the others that share the same name.

Posted (edited)

With the title  "Means of Grace"  personally my thoughts were that "Grace"  referred to a woman's name. That the word "means" meant the "ways" (or the means by which she survived). So in my thought process, photo (#1) seem to fit best for the title  "Means of Grace"  p.s. In all fairness, I should mention that I'm not aware of the story content. 

Edited by Antonio

6 minutes ago, HK1 said:

One More Chance is a pretty popular title, and you don't want your book to get lost among all the others that share the same name.

That's a good point, HK1.

7 minutes ago, HK1 said:

Yes, it definitely does!

:D  As a reader, I'd much rather have the person on the front match the character described in the story.

Also, maybe you should look at the title a little more. One More Chance is a pretty popular title, and you don't want your book to get lost among all the others that share the same name.

You're right, there are several. However, interestingly enough, they seem to be romances rather than suspense, so I think I'm reasonably safe there.

7 minutes ago, Antonio said:

With the title  "Means of Grace"  personally my thoughts were that "Grace"  referred to a woman's name. That the word "means" meant the "ways" (or the means by which she survived). So in my thought process, photo (#1) seem to fit best for the title  "Means of Grace" 

That would totally make sense if the heroine's name was Grace, but it actually isn't. So maybe that would have thrown an additional layer of confusion into the mix...

1 hour ago, Zee said:

Well, what about "Second Chance" or "Last Chance?" Those were my alternative titles.

How about "Final Chance?" Not too many (if any) books with that title on Amazon.

But I agree with @suspensewriter, the original title is difficult to work with as a suspense story.

2 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

How about "Final Chance?" Not too many (if any) books with that title on Amazon.

But I agree with @suspensewriter, the original title is difficult to work with as a suspense story.

Ok, I could work with that. Does the cover strike you as "Suspenseful" enough?

12 minutes ago, Zee said:

Ok, I could work with that. Does the cover strike you as "Suspenseful" enough?

With the most recent one you posted? Could go either way. 

I wonder if a picture showing something bad about to happen might work? Or maybe a silhouette of a person on the run (from behind) - trying to escape something? Of course, you'd be the best judge of what type of action fits your story.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Accord64 said:

With the most recent one you posted? Could go either way. 

I wonder if a picture showing something bad about to happen might work? Or maybe a silhouette of a person on the run (from behind) - trying to escape something? Of course, you'd be the best judge of what type of action fits your story.  

Personally, I find a cover with a human face (or if a more generic figure, a recognizable human role—soldier, nurse, etc.) far more compelling than a cover with a vague silhouette, however sinister, or something somewhat abstract, like a stormy landscape or broken glass.

I wonder if this is partly a male vs. female viewpoint thing, though. Are most suspense story writers/readers men?

Despite all my grousing, I really do like the idea of a cover that features someone who looks at least a little bit like my heroine.

Here are a couple of pics I quickly found on Shutterstock. These are just examples, so please excuse me if I don't accurately portray your character.

runner-woman-dark-forest-600w-570625729.jpg.fed6df529ab94f18604ac5c0b28c67dd.jpg

stock-photo-girl-in-black-hood-running-away-from-danger-deep-in-dark-forest-thick-fog-all-around-scary-autumn-1007062663.thumb.jpg.9cefab5edc1349d1e396abb3d3edb1ab.jpg

I actually really really liked that picture. When I saw her face, especially her expression... I could definitely see your protagonist. 

47 minutes ago, Jared Williams said:

I actually really really liked that picture. When I saw her face, especially her expression... I could definitely see your protagonist. 

Which one? The girl’s profile with the new title? (I’ve now amended it to “Final Chance.”)

I hope so, because I’ve pretty much decided that’s the one I’m going with, unless I get a last-minute flash of inspiration.