Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Lucian Hodoboc

site-related question What's the point of archiving threads?

I don't understand why threads in this community are archived. It's true, some of them might become irrelevant due to passage of time, but many of them are independent of or unaffected by time. If someone stumbles across this community by searching something writing-related online, and wants to reply to an old thread relevant to his/her interests, he/she cannot do so, therefore he/she concludes that signing up an account was a waste of his/her time. Something to think about. 😅

If I found an article on the internet that was of interest to me and wanted to leave a comment, and I got to the bottom of the other comments and found they were from a several year's old post, I wouldn't comment. It's old. How do I know the writer will even see my comment or comment back.

Many times on this site, an old thread will have been started by someone who no longer is a member or visits the site. They probably won't receive/see your comment. So when old is old, it makes sense to close a thread. Hope that helps. :)

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. What does whether the author of the post (or the article) is still around have to do with the fact that some topics remain relevant for decades or even centuries? We study, learn and use grammatical rules, literary techniques etc. created by people who passed away over half a century ago. This is an online community, so it's based on the interaction of a group of people. Whether one of those people leaves the community or is unable to continue participating in the discussions for whatever reason should not have any major impact upon the flow of the discussion, regardless of whether said person is the topic starter. Furthermore, due to the slowly-changing nature of the niche of this community (it's not a general discussions or a pop culture community discussing the latest news, but rather forums where we discuss the art and craft of writing), the topics being archived seems to be closed before their full potential has even been sought, much less reached. I've been browsing the threads from two years ago from the Writing & Publishing forum and see that many of them are as relevant today as they were then, and I could offer insight on at least half of them.

There are a myriad of reasons, but I suspect the primary reason is simple pragmatism - there's a lot of activity on these forums, and if you didn't archive threads, the database would swell to an ungainly size. It's a common feature of any forums community. For example, here's a thread talking about this exact thing over on Reddit (which has far more traffic than we do but it's the same principle).

• Like 1