Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Dramedy Writer80

Blogging stories - bad or good move?

To paraphrase a song that I don't even like, pirates gonna pirate. I don't lose sleep over them. The people who buy a pirated book probably weren't going to pay me for it, anyway. Plagiarism is a thornier problem but that, too, has been going on for as long as there has been intellectual property worth stealing.

I still think that, on balance, putting my own free content out there as part of a markting plan brings more benefits than drawbacks. I discovered one of my favourite authors, Grace Livingston Hill, from free books on Gutenberg.org. Likewise, people still buy the works of Shakespeare, Austen and Dickens even though they fell out of copyright ages ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EBraten said:

I don't lose sleep over them. The people who buy a pirated book probably weren't going to pay me for it, anyway. Plagiarism is a thornier problem but that, too, has been going on for as long as there has been intellectual property worth stealing.

That's a great attitude to have, @EBraten. The ways of doing things are always changing. At some point, someone will think of a way to make ebook content harder to steal, and then, something new will come out and people will jump on ways to steal that. We can't be ruled by fear of what could happen, but we should also be aware of the risks and put safeguards in place.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, EBraten said:

I still think that, on balance, putting my own free content out there as part of a markting plan brings more benefits than drawbacks.

Is this the only way you advertise?  Don't you use any paid services, like BookBub, for example?  Or Amazon?  Or Facebook?

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, Dramedy Writer80 said:

I just followed you! It will show up as headdeskliz on Wordpress. I'm sorry you lost your following. Social media can be fickle, as we know. 

Edited by PenName

4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Is this the only way you advertise? 

No, I use a mix of approaches, including paid advertising. But push marketing is just one strategy and I don't want it to be my only one. Content marketing is a proven strategy that works in many industries. In her amazing book, which I highly recommend, Pamela Wilson says that good content marketing will do several things:

• attract people to your website
  • wow them when they get there
  • establish your expertise, personality, and appeal
  • keep people on the page and engaging with your brand and your ideas
  • invite them to stay connected and become customers

I think that sharing examples of your storycraft through, say, free short stories on your website, is an excellent way to "establish your expertise" and "keep people on the page".

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Are you satisfied with the results?

Satisfied with my marketing so far? Yes, thank God. I'm nowhere near bestseller status, but I sell books every day and am getting a trickle of traffic. I've got a ton more work to do with my content marketing, but I'm taking tiny steps in the right direction.

Edited to add: I'm still writing the fiction content that I'll give away on my website. I should clarify that. It's at the second draft stage, and it won't be the same material that I'm selling.

Edited by EBraten