Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
HLTassin

pics of book covers for unpublished authors

So.... for those who have websites, and haven't been officially published, do you mock up pics, or do colorful covers, for "pages" on your site?

Nope.  My priority at the moment is to write, write and write.  The marketing stuff can come later when I know I have something to flog.😃

• Like 2

I agree, but I was told repeatedly by agents and other authors to get a website, that when you submit queries, etc., they like to see you have an online presence. 

So for those who have sites, I'm just wondering how you handled it?

I'm in the process of setting mine up. I'm sure it will change over time, as I grow, and so does my audience. However, I know I have to start somewhere. So I will be doing weekly posts (small to start) with two main topics, but a single goal.

The two topics will be:

1) writing - everything from first drafts to publishing and everything in between. 

2) My personal journey. 

The goal/purpose of both will be to help others. Not only do I dislike blubbering on about myself, but I also know I will lose steam if I make it all about me. However, helping/focusing on others is not something that bores me. 

Granted, blogging is not for everyone, but if you do choose to do so, you will need to think about the long term. Is the topic something you will be able to blog about a year from now? Two years? Three? 

• Like 3

Derek Murphy has some free book cover templates that he offers. If you want to mess around and make some decent looking covers, that is a great place to start.

But, @suspensewriter has a good point. Book reviews are some solid and straightforward material to create.

• Like 1

Thanks Thomas, that's exactly what I was looking for! And Alley, I think you're site sounds great! Let us know when it's finished so we can check it out :) And Suspense writer, GREAT idea!! Thanks everyone!

9 minutes ago, HLTassin said:

Let us know when it's finished so we can check it out :)

Will do! 🙂 (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'm soooooo not a tech person. 😄

I don't quite understand your question. "Colourful Covers" for pages?  I don't think you are talking about book covers.

I take pictures of things all around me, sometimes to theme, sometimes to store for later.  That's what I use to catch eyes to my pages.  

Suspensewriters, do you mean like ARC's, when you pay for someone to do a review? LIke to put on the cover when you publish?

Nicola, thanks for your response! I mean like, creating a book cover with a pic, mocking it up with your title and your name. Say, it's a series, and on your site each book has a "page" . . . but instead of just writing the title and the blurb, you have a beautiful, colorful cover ...

That's what I've done. It looks really cool. I'm just wondering if a publisher would take issue with that …? That you've already created a visual for your book.

Thanks!

That's a good question, HL. I don't know whether a trad publisher would consider it self-published or not. My guess would be yes, it's already published.

• Like 1