Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

So, a couple weeks ago I posted a cover done by a friend... the feedback I got on it wasn't very great. I've made a cover this time, and though I'm not emotionally attached to it like I was the other one, I think it might be a little better (I really miss the chain, though 😟). The genre is middle grade fantasy.

image.thumb.png.ee341e2d3a3d338f6a80901023f281ed.png

image.thumb.png.68b9adaf3a4be0060b85094572991543.png

Edited by Micaiah
  • Like 1

This cover is much more visually appealing, but it’s true you have lost the “links” concept. I just wonder if you could convey it with something more organic than a chain...roots of a flower/ tree and the branches, perhaps?

• Thanks 1

@lynnmosher, I really like that idea, but if you were to read the story, you'd see that it's not your average "Two Worlds" situation. Nevertheless, I did search a few places including Pexels, but I couldn't find anything with the "Two Worlds" vibe I need...

Also, I added another image to the thread. 

I should have added more to my comment. If say, one character comes from the "upper crust" and the other from, say, the farm or "the wrong side of the tracks," those two worlds need to be depicted. That was what I was getting at. One from a palace and one from a shack.

Why not do something similar to the picture posted by Lynn. Like a big tree in the middle, with two people standing on either side, each belonging to one of the ''worlds''. It'd be clear that they both exist within the same world, but come from completely different places within that world.  

I started to post this before but since Sam mentioned it, here's something along that idea...

image.thumb.png.52333a56d421c471abfa831438d7543c.png

• Like 2

Hi there :)

I definitely prefer these two covers to the first one. You've had quite a lot of feedback on the design and the image, so I'll leave that alone :P I would say that you should look at your Fonts. The main title in the elaborate font is good, but I would look at combining it with a more plain font for the subtitle. The contrast will help to create interest and draw your eye from one place to another on the cover. 

Side-note (Sorry decided I had to comment on the image after all): I like the second landscape image more than the trees alone option, however I would want to see more duality and maybe even bringing back some element of the chain/links from the first cover, because I feel that is very striking and could look really incredible if woven into the image.  

Ok... another side-note (brain working overtime so just ignore me if it becomes too much info).

Your comment about the palace and shack made me think of Narnia and the idea of walking through a door from one place/world/dimension to another (but specifically the scene in the last battle with the shack on the hill). Also perhaps the Magicians Nephew with the in-between place with all the ponds leading to many other worlds. Perhaps you could use a similar concept for your cover art?

• Like 1

I think a cool, fantasy type image like the ones Lynn Mosher shared has the right “vibe.” Maybe you could get some kind of “underground vs. above ground” version of the same kind of thing.

*facepalms* They're not literally from different worlds. They even live in the same area, and they have very similar lifestyles. It's the "Links" part that I'm trying to draw out, not the "Two Worlds" part. 

Ahhh, now you tell me! LOL So I guess we need a little more info to understand this better. :D

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Micaiah said:

*facepalms* They're not literally from different worlds. They even live in the same area, and they have very similar lifestyles. It's the "Links" part that I'm trying to draw out, not the "Two Worlds" part. 

Hmmm... I had an idea of a chain of dewdrops on a strand of a spiderweb. Sort of a link/chain/connection idea without being literally a chain. And it’s more of an organic “outdoors” thing too.

What if you had a picture of a girl's silhouette leaning up against a giant shoe? random idea, but it just popped into my head when I thought of your title and the plot of your story. don't know if it would  work for you, but I'd figure I'd throw it out there. 

• Like 1

I've been jumping around with several ideas. A couple days ago (I hadn't read your message, Jared. I'll have to try that) I was completely dry. I had no idea what to do. I talked to my closest writer-friend about it to see if she had any ideas, and she volunteered to paint something. Seeing as most of the best sellers in my genre had paintings or fake pictures on the cover, I happily agreed. This is what we came up with:

1812167939_LinksoftheTwoWorlds(13).thumb.png.0aed218ad1b809f869f3d3e16d3c2ce1.png

Since beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, I decided to see what y'all think. 

No offense to your friend, but this...just...isn't. Definitely not.

• Like 1

Honestly? No offense here either so warning, negative response coming. It looks like a poorly done children's book.

• Like 1

I rather liked Jared's idea...the tiny girl with the big shoe...or big chair? Doorway? Something, anyway. If you're not sure about the plants/growing things theme, why not go for the big/little theme?

• Like 1