Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Geeze, Alley, I've never had a creative block in my life.  Or any inner battles, either.  I just write my way through things and keep going.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alley said:

Has anyone read The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles? What are your thoughts? 

I've read it and found it very inspiring. I struggle with procrastination and with seeing projects through to the end instead of jumping on to the next shiny thing. Steven Pressfield's book resonated with me by putting a name to that force that I need to push against.

I think the servant who buried his one talent failed in his battle against Resistance! I don't want that to be me.

• Like 2

In writing devotionals, I sometimes run into a blank wall. No handwriting on it. ;)o_O I pray over whatever I'm writing, put it to bed, and come back later. I'll also do a little research to get some inspiration. The handwriting will appear on the wall and I'll finish the devo. I don't always feel comfy-cozy about it, so I just leave it up to the Lord. If it's finished, it's finished. If not, I'll edit the heck out of it! I know this probably doesn't help fictionists but that's all I have. :)

• Like 1

Oh great, now I just bought another book I'm going to have to read. Ugh.

It is so funny how much I love reading and writing. I wish I could do both at the same time. Such opposites though.

• Like 1

I wish I had an answer of some kind for you, but right now I'm not familiar with the book and nothing comes to mind.

• Like 1

Walking away from that blank wall is one form of answering the resistance :) 

Absolutely God has a word for that wall but it can be hard to turn away in favor of a second approach can't it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alley said:

Has anyone read The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles?

I've listened to it on Audible, and have the ebook as well. (I heard Pressfield speak at Story Grid LIVE in 2019 in Franklin. He's inspiring, a real working writer who makes real money at this.) He's a millionaire who now lives in Malibu. That doesn't suck. 

I think his thoughts on this are interesting, but I can't help but internalize them as a Christian. I see Resistance not just as distraction, I see it as sin, something which keeps us from being the person God intended us to be. (I'm not trying to hyper-spiritualize writing but I do see this as a side-effect of the fall of Man.) I see fighting personal Resistance as a bit of a holy fight which affects more than just my writing,

I am reminded of the 'Spiritual Breathing' concept taught by Bill Bright. 
https://www.cru.org/us/en/train-and-grow/help-others-grow/mentoring/spiritual-breathing-surrender-control.html

Because God loves us, He doesn't want to have our fellowship and communication with Him severed. But just as I had been locked away in the cell because I had broken the law, our sins against God separate us from Him. Yet we don't have to be out of touch with God for one minute. The key for me in experiencing God's presence and direction moment by moment is something called "spiritual breathing," which is a phrase coined by Bill Bright, the founder of Cru. Let me explain how it works.

Regular breathing has two parts: exhaling impure air and inhaling pure air. Spiritually, we become aware of an impure attitude or area of our life that displeases the Lord, so we need to "exhale," or, in other words, confess that sin to God. Confession means to agree with God that we have sinned and admit we now want to change: "If we confess our sin to God, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

The second part of spiritual breathing is, obviously, to "inhale." This refers to a prayer of willing surrender to God's control. Through prayer, we can ask the Holy Spirit to run our lives and take over. The key to the process of spiritual breathing lies in surrendering that control to God on a consistent and regular basis.

The more I'm able to keep myself spiritually centered, the clearer my head is, the more creative I feel. Sometimes I do things for the little Community church where I serve, sometimes I rectify lingering sins, and sometimes I write. 

Now, having said all that, sometimes Resistance is just what you think it is - warring options for my time. Sometimes I watch a streaming movie, sometimes I play video games with my gamer friends, and sometimes I write. That's a lot of it, time management (which is to say, 'self management'). But it starts with spiritual inventory (or it should). 

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! 🙂 I enjoy the encouragement, but I really was just asking for thoughts on the book. I read a review that said something to the effect that in the last third of the book, he starts saying angels will do the work for you, and so on. I've also heard others on here say it really helped them. So I was wondering who read it and what they thought about it. I am aware reviews can be... Bad at times, so coming to people I trust who might have read it, seemed the best answer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alley said:

I read a review that said something to the effect that in the last third of the book, he starts saying angels will do the work for you, and so on.

Yes, he does go a bit woo woo at some point. I just ignored that bit. Threw out the chaff and kept what was useful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EBraten said:

Yes, he does go a bit woo woo at some point. I just ignored that bit. I threw out the chaff and kept what was useful.

Ah! Ok, I was wondering. Thank you! 🙂

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, EBraten said:

Yes, he does go a bit woo woo at some point. I just ignored that bit. Threw out the chaff and kept what was useful.

Exactly so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now, I'm two thirds of the way through the book. I would advise a lot of spiritual discernment when reading it. Like @Johne said, you can really Christianize what he's saying and make it useful for the Believer. But, he's flat wrong on at a couple spot in the first two thirds of the book. His lack of understanding of what Christians really believe takes his commentary off track in a couple of ways. I don't have time now for a deep dive, but I'll take what @EBraten said as the best advice, separate the wheat from the chaff as you're reading it.

There's a lot of "Self-Help" book vibe to it that I don't like at all. But there is also a bit of solid writerly advice in there too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where can I order my angels? I’ll write the books, I just need them to churn out blog posts once a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3