Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
BoyMom

Accountability/Motivation

If I'm being paid for a gig, I give it my best and never miss a deadline. I mean, if I don't make deadlines, I lose clients. BAM! Instant consequence.

If it's working on my own fiction, for the life of me I can't seem to find the accountability I need. I RARELY meet my writing goals. 

I don't even know what works for me anymore.

Any advice? What do you guys do?

1590536443913.jpg

• Like 3

You know, I get plenty of authors who ask me the same question, so you're not alone. But yes, make it a practice to write a 1,000 words per day minimum, 5 days a week!  You'll never regret it.

• Like 6

Writing buddies and accountability partners. Someone who can't wait to see what you write next is great too! 😊 

I don't think I asked: What genre do you write? 

• Like 5

Hi again, Natalie. I forgot to mention that I'm a homeschool dad, although my wife does most of the teaching. 

Concerning motivation, I, too, find it difficult to write without some form of instant feedback. Delayed gratification is difficult for me, even though I'm trying to be more disciplined. I guess I'm in it for the long haul, and anything that gets published or noticed is a bonus.

I don't know that this helps any. Just know that you're not in the lack-of-motivation boat alone.

• Like 4

Natalie, you need to join one of the groups here offering accountability. Click on Clubs in the blue banner at the top and chose what suits you. :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

You know, I get plenty of authors who ask me the same question, so you're not alone. But yes, make it a practice to write a 1,000 words per day minimum, 5 days a week!  You'll never regret it.

This is reasonable ... At least, that's what logic tells me. Then when it comes down to it, I'm like, "Gasp!! What have I done? This is an unreasonable expectation!" And my willpower wilts. 

I've enjoyed using NaNoWriMo's site for tracking wordcount. I think it has a goal-setter, too. 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alley said:

Writing buddies and accountability partners. Someone who can't wait to see what you write next is great too! 😊 

I don't think I asked: What genre do you write? 

Accountability partners are a major motivator for me, but they're hard to come by. I don't need a critique partner or anything ... Just someone to set goals and work at them, alongside me, you know?

My current story I'm plotting is a middle grade fantasy. What do you write?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuck Kralik said:

Hi again, Natalie. I forgot to mention that I'm a homeschool dad, although my wife does most of the teaching. 

Concerning motivation, I, too, find it difficult to write without some form of instant feedback. Delayed gratification is difficult for me, even though I'm trying to be more disciplined. I guess I'm in it for the long haul, and anything that gets published or noticed is a bonus.

I don't know that this helps any. Just know that you're not in the lack-of-motivation boat alone.

Hi, fellow homeschool parent!! It actually is very helpful and comforting to know I'm not alone in this ... I tend to think that published novelists have something I don't ... A magic pen that I haven't found yet, you know? 

Regarding the instant gratification ... This is why I loooove writing short stories so much. It's so satisfying. I write the whole thing in one sitting. Novels are so much harder. I'm working on seeing novels as just a series of interconnected short stories, and that has helped my perspective tremendously. 

This week I set writing goals for myself ... And I have yet to even  BEGIN the first one. 😔 It feels embarrassing, even though I'm the only one that even knew about them! 

Honestly, that's why I joined this website today ... I'm sick of being alone in this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Natalie, you need to join one of the groups here offering accountability. Click on Clubs in the blue banner at the top and chose what suits you. :D

Oh wow!!! I didn't know that!! I could just hug you ... Thank you!! I'm going to check that out right now. 

Thank you so much!! 🤗

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BoyMom said:

Any advice? What do you guys do?

I try to write something six days a week, and word count varies based on my schedule. I've found it helps to have a couple scenes plotted out before I start writing. That way I don't sit there and stare at the page for a long time :D  Also, I always read/edit what I wrote the previous day. That helps me get in the mood to write more.

And that's great you homeschool! I was homeschooled all the way through and loved it!

Edited by HK1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BoyMom said:

A magic pen that I haven't found yet, you know? 

When you do, let the rest of us know! 

1 hour ago, BoyMom said:

I'm sick of being alone in this.

Most of us feel that way. You're in good company. 

1 hour ago, BoyMom said:

middle grade fantasy.

Neat! 

1 hour ago, BoyMom said:

Just someone to set goals and work at them, alongside me, you know?

I do, and there are a lot of great people that do that on here. Give it a little time. People like to get to know each other (as much as you can on a computer) and when they are fairly sure you will not drop off the face of the planet like a lot of others who join the site do, they tend to reach out to you. My advice is to interact and get to know people. Stop off in the critique section, even if you are just helping others, and not ready to get your own work out there yet. I know from personal experience they will start asking after yours if they can't find some. 

1 hour ago, BoyMom said:

What do you write?

Romantic Historical Fantasy. 

4 hours ago, Chuck Kralik said:

I'm a homeschool dad

I did not not know that. Nice to see more of us! 

• Like 5

I've heard of a writer who sets a deadline, then tells a few friends about it. He also agrees to pay each of those friends 20 bucks if he misses the deadline. 

By his own admission, he hasn't missed a writing deadline.

For myself, I find I have to ask someone to private message me to check if I'm reaching my goals. Just knowing that someone will ask and will expect an honest answer is usually enough to motivate me. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BoyMom said:

I've enjoyed using NaNoWriMo's site for tracking wordcount. I think it has a goal-setter, too.

I use the NaNo site and during Camp NaNo, I created a Discord server. Having a small group of people to check in with, give word count/progress updates to, and participate in word sprints has been super helpful.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BoyMom said:

Just someone to set goals and work at them, alongside me, you know?

Word sprints with a friend are my favorite way to dig in and really get my fingers moving! ❤️

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BoyMom said:

Oh wow!!! I didn't know that!! I could just hug you ... Thank you!! I'm going to check that out right now. 

LOL My door is always open for hugs!

image.png.5e84edd908cb04eb2194b71d91682a6e.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Davidsmeier said:

I want to give advice about this, but it is my Achilles' Heel.

Once I get started writing, I've got no problem. But, actually starting is another story...

Welp ... At least you're in good company here. 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

I've heard of a writer who sets a deadline, then tells a few friends about it. He also agrees to pay each of those friends 20 bucks if he misses the deadline. 

By his own admission, he hasn't missed a writing deadline.

For myself, I find I have to ask someone to private message me to check if I'm reaching my goals. Just knowing that someone will ask and will expect an honest answer is usually enough to motivate me. 

I wonder how quickly if go broke ... 🤪 Just kidding. I mean, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep momentum! I just haven't found what keeps me consistently motivated.

I wrote alllllll the time when it was just for me. So. Many. Words. But when I decided I wanted to get published one day, I was so stricken with fear. Little by little, the Niagra Falls of words turned into the Sahara Desert. 😳 I can't fool myself into thinking that I'm only writing for myself now. I don't know how to get back into that comfort zone that really stroked the muse. 

God forces us out of our comfort zone when it's time to grow ... But ... It's cold and scary out here ... And the comfort zone is so warm and cozy ... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoyMom said:

God forces us out of our comfort zone when it's time to grow ... But ... It's cold and scary out here ... And the comfort zone is so warm and cozy ...

I hear that! Maybe pick a story you love and place some pieces in the critique section here. Or you could try something short from a writing prompt. I find feedback that others love what I write (even though it will never be everyone's cup of tea) is a huge help for the writing jitters. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been writing for many years, like you, just for myself. Then I joined this group. While I still do not expect to make tons of money on what I write, I am pushing myself (not hard enough) to get published. Now I'm actually sending out queries. One step at a time. They key is to keep writing. And learn as much as you can about the marketing/publishing part.

Who knows? You (and/or I) may wake up some morning and discover the courage to put the work out there. What if there's nothing to put?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoyMom said:

I wrote alllllll the time when it was just for me. So. Many. Words. But when I decided I wanted to get published one day, I was so stricken with fear. Little by little, the Niagra Falls of words turned into the Sahara Desert. 😳 I can't fool myself into thinking that I'm only writing for myself now. I don't know how to get back into that comfort zone that really stroked the muse. 

When you choose to start actively serving Jesus Christ in a way that might impact other people for Him, the other side certain takes notice. Satan, the World, and even our own Flesh don't won't us on God's side, and they will claw and scrape and do everything they can to keep us from doing the good God has planned for us to do.

But, take heart because He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1