Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Joseph S. Roberts

Setting Up a Writing Schedule

Okay, I have what I think is the perfect job for writing.  I work in healthcare as a trash tech, and I work 2nd shift.   I leave home at two-thirty in the afternoon to go into work.   In the mornings, I have my alarm set for seven-thirty, only thing is, I hit the snooze button several times before it reads nine-thirty a.m.   I’m thinking to myself that I really have no more excuses not to write.  I’m like, if I can get up at eight O’clock, I could begin writing at nine O-clock, and set it up to write up to a thousand words everyday.  

I’m curious to know what is your writing schedule like?   How do you overcome resistance? 

• Like 4

I'm not a morning person. I also want to get the needs done, so I dont have to stress over them. For me, writing is my favorite thing. I would rather write than watch tv. It's how I relax and unwind. Personally, my writing is done at night after kids go to bed. It gives me a couple of hours to relax and do what I enjoy. Although, if I get a chance to write while they play outside, or while everyone is watching a movie, I will take it! 😁 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I’m curious to know what is your writing schedule like?   How do you overcome resistance? 

I'm a homeschooling mother of four, so it's taken quite a bit of juggling to find a schedule that works, and there are still a lot of things I could do better.

At the moment, I get up at five in the morning. That's the best time for me to write my first drafts. I write fastest when I use dictation, and the early morning hours are quiet and distraction-free. When I'm at the editing or proofing stage, I do that right after we're done with our homeschooling work for the day.

Resistance is a constant battle. The best way for me to overcome it is making writing into a habit and keeping to a consistent schedule. As a Christian, I know that God will one day want an accounting of what I did with the talents that he gave me. I know that resistance is a manifestation of the enemy tempting me to bury those talents and let laziness or fear stop me from fulfilling God's purpose in my life.

Deadlines are also good for my motivation. I wrote down my goals for the year and put dates against my big milestones. I keep evaluating whether I'm on track or not.

Have you read Lifelong Writing Habit by Chris Fox? That was very helpful in helping me get the right mindset for my writing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I’m curious to know what is your writing schedule like?

I write best in the morning. It's when I'm most creative and awake. As such, I try to make sure that I get an hour of writing done in the morning. Setting a time limit or having a cut-off time usually helps me focus and write. 

7 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

How do you overcome resistance? 

For me, I have to identify why the resistance is there. If there's a problem with my plot, then I experience resistance until I resolve the issue. But sometimes I'm just being lazy (it took me about 3 weeks to write the last 4 scenes of my last WIP, just because I didn't want the story to end). When this happens, accountability is key. I ask people to give me a "kick" to finish (via private messaging or email), and often just knowing that they'll do it gives me the incentive I need to finish.

I have heard of an author who sets himself a deadline and tells a few friends about it. The deal is that if he misses the deadline he will pay each of his friends 20 bucks. That's how he motivated himself to finish. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

I have heard of an author who sets himself a deadline and tells a few friends about it. The deal is that if he misses the deadline he will pay each of his friends 20 bucks. That's how he motivated himself to finish. 

Wow, that's really extreme, Claire!

I usually write 2,000 words per day and finish 1 book every three months.  I hope to accomplish more, though.  I think I can get up to 6 per year.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I usually write 2,000 words per day and finish 1 book every three months. 

That's awesome! I'm thinking of trying for a release every 12 weeks beginning with next year's new series. I'll see how I get on with the current projects I have going on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EBraten said:

12 weeks beginning

That's awesome!! 

But @Joseph S. Roberts don't feel you have to keep such a quick pace. A lot of writers can't, and that's ok. No two writers are the same, and you should pray and test the waters to see what works best for you and your life. 

• Like 3

OK, I'm the odd one out here. I don't have a set of words per day or write every day.  I tend to allocate time when I know I have a scene or section ready to go from head to paper.  It is a bit erratic, but it works for me.  In practice, it means that unless I have the day job demanding total days of my time, I can usually get some writing/editing done if I want to.  My advice is do what works for you.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

My advice is do what works for you.

Good advice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EBraten said:
29 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

My advice is do what works for you.

Good advice

Agreed! 🙂

• Like 2

Can some please explain to me how you guys manage to insert those lovely cakes and cookies into your replies?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Can some please explain to me how you guys manage to insert those lovely cakes and cookies into your replies?

Which kind? The emojis, pictures, or gifs (the moving ones)? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

uploading picture I have taken please and perhaps GIF files.

If you click on the paperclip, (it is chosen a file), it should let you pick a file on your computer/phone. On my phone, I have to click on the reply box before it shows the paperclip, at the bottom of the box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 12:03 AM, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I used to wait until Saturday, and hit a local cigar bar for about three or four hours.  I'd sit at the end of the bar, put up my tablet and bluetooth keyboard.  The Bartender knew exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it.  I could EASILY pound out a chapter in that period of time.  I'd spend Sunday through Friday thinking about what to write, and by that time the words come out like I just open up a tap.

That was, until someone in a wet market decided to do their Ozzy Osborne impersonation...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, Shamrock said:

OK, I'm the odd one out here. I don't have a set of words per day or write every day. 

Same. I write for fun, and I write best in the evening between 8 - Midnight. Sometimes I write, sometimes I do other things, frequently I'll do a little of both (or all!). It's all good.

• Like 3

I don't think you have to write a set number of words per day if you don't want to.  Look at what you've accomplished with The Blue Golem.  That's pretty nifty.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 2:39 AM, EBraten said:

I'm a homeschooling mother of four

I'm a homeschool mom of two! Hi!! 

At the moment, I get up at five in the morning.

I've had a terrible time trying to get up early (depression and restless sleep), but this works well for me, too, because my brain hasn't started focusing on the tasks for the day. No one needs me yet because they're still asleep. It's like my little world has been paused, and it's the perfect time to focus on writing.

As a Christian, I know that God will one day want an accounting of what I did with the talents that he gave me

This has never occurred to me ... and it hit me hard. I know God gave us gifts and expects us to use them, but I never thought about him expecting an account of what we did with them. I definitely need to take this into perspective.

• Like 3

My home office is now set. It has a door I can close.

So it seems my best writing time is between getting the breakfast dishes done and getting ready for work. I really need to decompress after work, so that's better for reading.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

It has a door I can close.

Forget the desk. Forget the rollers on a chair. Forget the heat or the fan. All one really needs to write is a device (pencil and paper or computer or ?) and a door that can be closed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Forget the desk. Forget the rollers on a chair. Forget the heat or the fan. All one really needs to write is a device (pencil and paper or computer or ?) and a door that can be closed.

Everybody's needs are distinct. I have my computer in the Dining Room all along one wall. All I need is a good keyboard and really good headphones. ;)
image.thumb.png.4f608f0260460ba66cb896e21271fd17.png

• Like 1

That's Cooper the Wonder Dachshund. He's a piebald, black and white, Standard size.

• Like 1