Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I'm learning Photoshop and InDesign, and I hate them!

When you get the double arrow when you hold the curser on the edge of doc you hold down your left mouse button while you drag the double arrow and it will make the doc bigger or smaller.

image.png

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has offered yet, but I can give you some Photoshop help over zoom or skype if you have questions. :) I use it as one of my programs for my Design work (Interior Design as well as Illustration and art)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I may just take you up on that offer!

One of the perks of a group like this, finding help when you need it with new programs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

And @gecko.danielle, thanks!  I may just take you up on that offer!

Haha please do. I've found with the adobe suite that once you get the hang of  one program, the rest are easier to learn because the logic of the programs is the same and some things overlap.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gecko.danielle said:

Haha please do. I've found with the adobe suite that once you get the hang of  one program, the rest are easier to learn because the logic of the programs is the same and some things overlap.  

As an added benefit, the items created in one program can sometimes be used as "ingredients" for creations in another program, so they can build on one another. The ways that outputs from various programs can interact can be almost startling, as a lot of creative thought went into making them interact in clever ways.

For example, I would normally think of various layers in an image as just static layers, e.g., just foreground and background elements. yet those layers can be animated independently in another program, and moved around the screen to come together into the final image, and they don't have to be foreground/background, but just interacting pieces.

I now notice this is done all the time with logos and the like in advertisements, but it's a a wonderfully powerful tool with lots of possibilities that I'm just starting to get a grasp on. My (currently very modest) website doesn't yet contain any videos, but I hope one day to make some pleasant additions...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks, SW! I know the Adobe stuff can be frustrating to learn (I'm really just a few steps ahead of you in some areas, & you're probably ahead of me in others...) but the great thing about steep learning curves is that we still only have to climb them once. After that, we reap the benefits. If there are lots of benefits, it's worthwhile, looking back.

And the wild thing about the Adobe suite is that it's like buying a moderately decent car, and then only finding out later that the thing can also fly!

That's a good description of it, Wes!  My wife is very adept at handling the Adobe Suite, but 'til now I've resisted asking her for help.  (She thinks our two dogs are dying, so she's got her hands full.  They're both 10 1/2/ years old.)

On 5/26/2020 at 8:06 AM, dlodes said:

For those interested in the free alternative to Photoshop, try GIMP. I'm all about free, I use Libre Office instead of Word and Gimp instead of photoshop. In Libre Office you can even save the file as a docx and export to PDF.

And it comes with the basic Raspian package for my Raspberry Pi!

"Free" is a relative term, especially when you're looking for support for yWriter.

Yeah, I tried yWriter and it just didn't work for me.  I tried Novel Creator and several other things, too, but in the end I stuck with Scrivener.  It's $40- one time- but it's worth it!  And I've come to like the Adobe Cloud Suite, too.  There is so much you can do with it!

On 5/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, dlodes said:

For those interested in the free alternative to Photoshop, try GIMP. I'm all about free, I use Libre Office instead of Word and Gimp instead of photoshop. In Libre Office you can even save the file as a docx and export to PDF.

I have Libre Office on my office computer. I feel like its not as intuitive or user-friendly as Word, but it's been a blessing to have a free word document program.

I miss the old days when Microsoft Office just came free on your Win95. Lol.

GIMP is a very handy tool, not just for editing photos, but for captioning them, creating artwork, and lots of other things. There are free third-party add-ons that can do jazzy filtering, like making the picture look like a watercolor. (This is nice when i want to drop a piece of one picture into the foreground of another, but it looks fake. Turn it into a watercolor, and it all matches, nice'n pretty...)

Another wonderful free tool is Blender, which can make nice video animations. I've seen some YouTube videos on using it to make whiteboard animations, which might be used to point to our websites from YouTube. While Adobe gives all the power to do this, it gets a little cumbersome. 

• Like 2

I just got a look at their website and I wandered around the newbie tutorials. It looks like I'll be working with it quite often now.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:11 AM, dlodes said:

I think you can get a pretty good cover on fiver for 20 bucks.

I just checked out the website. I don't know what I was expecting, but this is like a classified ad section in billboards. Lots of choices with lots of prices. 

• Like 1