Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

I'm learning Photoshop and InDesign, and I hate them!

Woo-hoo! Good for you, SW! I think that's great. You might learn to at least like PS soon. ;):rolleyes::D

• Like 1

This may not be what you wanna hear, but learning how to use a complex tool is going to be extra stressful if you're under pressure to complete a job with it at the same time. Since you mentioned you're learning by watching YouTube videos, you're probably slowing down the learning process, too. YouTube stuff may give you bits and pieces, and that's fine if you're learning casually, but the educational process will start out like slices of swiss cheese.

If you're under pressure to get a job done, you might do better getting books on learning the tools, and just making the time to learn the whole thing before getting back to the actual job. Chances are, you're constantly frustrated, not knowing how to perform a particular step, because the knowledge of how to perform the step is where one of the holes in the swiss cheese sits. Eventually it will become obvious, but right now it looks infuriatingly uncooperative.

On the positive side, you've got a book designer, doing some exciting work for you...

• Like 2

Yes, I don't have too much to complain about, actually.  I just thought I'd vent.  I've got books and I'm learning off of SkillShare.com and YouTube videos- so in these days of the shutdown, I really don't have much to complain about, do I?!

• Like 1

I took a Photoshop and Illustrator class a decade ago now. By the end, I could muddle my way through Photoshop (though I was not and still am not not much good) but Illustrator was HORRIFIC. 😬

• Like 1

For those interested in the free alternative to Photoshop, try GIMP. I'm all about free, I use Libre Office instead of Word and Gimp instead of photoshop. In Libre Office you can even save the file as a docx and export to PDF.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

You know, I'm learning Photoshop (which I despise), and InDesign (which I also hate)  and I just had to vent!

Learning Photoshop from video tutorials on a single monitor is time-consuming. Constantly having to switch between the video and the program can get annoying. Do you have multiple monitors?

• Like 1

Oh boy, thanks, Caroliana!  You know, I dug out my other laptop, put it on my desk at Lucian's suggestion, and you know it actually does help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Oh boy, thanks, Caroliana!  You know, I dug out my other laptop, put it on my desk at Lucian's suggestion, and you know it actually does help.

Two laptops? That's pretty neat. How come you have two? I mean, people usually purchase a new laptop or PC or smartphone only after the first one no longer works.

6 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

people usually purchase a new laptop or PC or smartphone only after the first one no longer works.

Sometimes it's because a necessary feature in the old one (like wi-fi) no longer functions, but the laptop is still fine for doing word processing, or something like that.

I've got a Microsoft Surface Pro and a Dell with a 17 inch screen.  I just forgot I had the Surface Pro and you're right, it comes in handy!

Here is how I do split screen.

Right click on task bar at the bottom of the computer and choose open side by side or stacked. The windows you have open will appear. You can minimize the ones you don't want or close them. The ones you want to use you can move around the screen and make bigger or smaller. 

image.thumb.png.2f437a7aa9cc1f9fe48729536b372ff3.png

I chose side by side here and it shows my browser and two word docs I have open. You can then left click on these documents to move them around on the screen or minimize the ones you don't want. You can also hold your curser on the edge of the doc and a two way arrow will show. You can then make your doc larger or smaller.

image.png