Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

This is what we are up against.  The wording of leaders and news media has caused people who believe you evil if you don't wear a mask. If I don't wear a mask I am not a sociopath, I might have a medical reason.

sociopaths.PNG

• Like 1

People with compromised immune systems, medical problems and /or the elderly should wear masks for their own protection.  Definitely should!!

Healthy people shouldn't have to wear a mask. The chances of dying from CoVid-19, if you catch this flu is 99.83% recovery rate. And that is for all age and health groups. Would you go into surgery if the doctor gave you those odds? Of course you would. 

However, a great many, 35% I believe, have the virus. Rather, carry the virus but never get sick. They spread it. Therefore, masks for them is essential.

• Like 1

from what I've heard, masks are meant to keep other people from catching your own germs when You are sick, not to keep you from getting sick. I may be wrong, but from what I've heard, a mask actually does very little to keep You from getting sick. There are many more ways for the virus to get into the system than from your nose and mouth. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

They're asymptomatic, I think is the term, Lynn.

Yes, you're right. :)

• Like 2

Yes, masks are not that protective. And the virus can even enter through your eyes. Ewww, ick! o_O

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those who wear masks get looked at as though they were carriers. Those who don't, get looked at though they don't care about others. There's no way to win in this pandemic. Best advice--stay home! (Of course, not everyone can, and somebody needs to buy groceries.) 

• Like 3

You know, that's exactly how it is in Michigan, Carolina.  If you go out with a mask, they do look at you like you're a carrier, and if you don't wear a mask when you go out... well, you get the picture.  Frankly, I don't know what to do, except stay inside and write!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Everyone should do what they can to protect themselves.

This is just one more of the volley of CoVid flu viruses that have come our way. 

Some are worse than others. 1957 Asian flu (H5N1)killed 116,000 in USA,  Hong Kong flu (H2N2) killed 100,000 people in the USA, So far the Wuhan flu  (H3N2) has killed 92,000 in the USA.

As always, wash your hands, cough into you elbow pit, stay away from sick people and be extra careful if you are elderly or have a compromised immune system.

Edited by Bob Leone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Yes, masks are not that protective.

On the other hand, they seem to protect politicians. 😒

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Food for thought.

My husband is on oxygen 24/7. He also has three different kinds of inhalers.

I've taken to going grocery shopping as early as possible because I really meant sugar-free Voorman's cookies, not gluten-free Voorman's cookies, powdered sugar-free juice, not organic apple juice on pouches, and (on and on.)

Also, how many hands does it takes to get a banana from a tree to my mouth, and are all those hands COVID free? I know COVID is rarely passed from surface to, however, same thing said about Hep C, however, sure enough, that's what happened.

Now, sure, we should stay home. And we are, as much as possible.

Meanwhile,

- fridge and stove need replacing.

- So does sofa.

- Have been needing new clothes and shoes since last fall.

- Now hubby needs new shoe.

- Most of his doctors are in the hospital.

- Really want an electrician.

- Need a plumber.

- My eyes are drying out, and plugs don't work. I also can't do drops.

- Hubby needs his toenails trimmed. He's diabetic, so neuropathy. That means blood will tell me I cut him faster than OUCH. (Podiatrist is finally opened.)

- His last talk to his cardiologist by phone was "How you doing?" "Good. You?" "Good. Talk to you in three months." (Did I mention he has Stage II CHF?)

So, yeah, most the people we need help from are healthy people, but they have to come into our home, or we have to get to them. AND we have to trust they haven't been walking around without a face mask because they're uncomfortable, or simply because they think it doesn't matter. Oh, and we have to trust every single surface does not have any COVID that can possibly get into our home.

And, just so you know I see this both ways? We're the kids to our next door neighbor. (She's close to 90.)

I went out back and notice trash blowing in her yard, so went over to pick it up. I didn't know she was in the alley of her house. When I saw her, I offered her her own trash, until I saw that look in her face, and realize I'm the one without a facemask asking her to trust me. :$

How about we remember others more often?

• Like 2

You know, I just re-read this post again, and that line about sociopaths seems a might strong- even for these polarized times.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

You know, I just re-read this post again, and that line about sociopaths seems a might strong- even for these polarized times.

That is intentional, it is a justification.  If I see you without a mask, you are a sociopath and mean to do me harm so I can attack you in self defense without feeling guilt.

• Like 1

... I'm reminded of two of my favorite quotes. One from Franklin Graham, the other from Stonewall Jackson about trusting God. They take it to the extreme, and I love it. I know there's balance in all things, but I wonder how applicable these quotes are to our fears about Covid... 

Franklin Graham - "I believe when we are in the Lord's will and following Christ, we are His responsibility, and He will look after us. Until He has accomplished His purpose through us, nothing can touch us without His permission - we're 'bullet-proof', so to speak."

Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson - "Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."

• Like 2

First, the only available masks that are out there will do little to prevent you from catching a virus.  Air circulates in and out of a mask using the path of least resistance.  The mask needs an air-tight seal , and a VERY fine particulate filter.  Those aren't available.  

They WILL, however, prevent you from spreading the virus.  The cloth acts as a baffle.  You cough, you sneeze, droplets go out like an enveloping mist.  Having something absorbent helps.  The less droplets in the air, the better.

This all said, you are more likely to get an infection from direct contact than from someone coughing three or six feet away.  An "airborne" virus being highly contagious is the stuff of Hollywood.  There is only a percentage chance you'll get something if someone near you coughs.  You don't inhale every droplet, some viruses "die" in transit, not every droplet has a virus in it, there are wind currents and breezes, and your body has this thing called an "immune system."  It often likes to stop the invader on the beaches.  Aerosol is an inefficient way to spread something unless it's nerve gas.

And now that we are hitting warmer months, this thing is unlikely to spread.  The one thing that is pretty consistent with respiratory infections is that they don't do well in hot, humid weather.  This is why summer colds and flu are rare.

But one of this really matters.  According to studies in New York, California, Sweden, Florida, Germany, and a few other places, this virus is ALREADY in the general populace (anywhere from 5 - 20% of the population has it, and doesn't know it).  We going to wear masks 24 / 7?

I personally have no problem wearing a mask, but the absolute hysteria that surrounds this virus is far more worrisome than catching it.  The "science first" people have gone off the rails, and what they are promoting really isn't even science.  It's pseudo-science, and anti-rational.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yawarakai said:

If I see you without a mask, you are a sociopath and mean to do me harm so I can attack you in self defense without feeling guilt.

And the reverse is true. If I see you with a mask, you are one of those suckers who believes everything the fake news says. OR you have the disease and you are out deliberately spreading it in public hiding behind a useless mask.

It's a no-win situation, but I will continue to wear my mask in public, especially where I cannot socially distant myself, like in the grocery store.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carolinamtne said:

I will continue to wear my mask in public, especially where I cannot socially distant myself, like in the grocery store.

That is prudent. I wear my mask whenever I enter a place of business that requires it. Other than that I do not. 

Ok this happened and Alyssa Milano said she is proud to live where it happened.

Warning strong language (New Yorkers scream and eject a person without a mask in a store)