Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Rebecca

Promotional tools for writers

53 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

And maybe I'm just afraid I'd be one of those authors who gets ignored. 😁

That's my concern as well. But I want to know I at least gave it a try! If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

After all, don't we want readers reading books instead of newsletters?

Purely as a reader, I don't think that's a problem. If I love your books, I want to read them all, and if I like you/your content, I want to read everything you write. Most readers love to read. I know I love finding someone with great books that I can binge read! 😁

However, I completely understand limited time and resources. You have to think about where they are best spent for you and your books. That can't be based on anything by you, your situation, and (most importantly) what God tells you to spend it on. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I deleted everyone except for Lynn's.  She doesn't try to sell you anything, or promote anything.

That should be our goal! 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 2

Ooh, I've just thought of something else about newsletters. I'm on Joanna Penn's fiction mailing list for her J.F. Penn thrillers. She uses her mailing list for her advanced reviewers, and she's just sent a call-out for people who want review copies of her upcoming release.

In short, mailing lists can be used to assemble your ARC team so that you have reviews ready when your books launch.

RE: Newsletters, I'll throw in my two cents. I believe 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, the newsletter was something you were expected to do and it probably had some impact. The advice I got, since I only started doing this in the last couple of years, was that the newsletter was sort of old-school and no longer very effective, at least not considering the time and effort it takes to do a good one. I agreed with that advice. I think the overwhelming response to the emailed newsletter today is the delete button. About 10-12 years ago in a totally unrelated business I was doing some blog posts and a newsletter, and it took an extraordinary amount of time to do well. I just don't believe the time it would take me to do would ever pay off. I have a hard enough time coming up with a Facebook post every few days.

Posted (edited)

Something I haven't seen mentioned by anyone here yet: This week I tried freebooksy for the first time. I paid $75 for a promotion on their free religious eBook section (Looks like it is $30 for the bargain religious eBook section, where your price would be $0.99 - $4.99). The promotion ran this morning and I'm currently seeing great rankings for my free eBook that is a follow-on to my main book. (See attachment) Edited to note that the Wiccan book at #2 was yesterday's freebooksy religion book promotion.

A little more for those interested enough to still be reading... My main book is a memoir/biography of my father, and after I released it I put together a little supplemental book through KDP that is mostly just the transcripts of three of his sermons. It's been a free PDF on my website for a while. So this week I enrolled it in Kindle Unlimited so I could do a free book promotion, and paid for the freebooksy promotion. My hope of course is that people will be interested in the main story and decide to buy it. Time will tell if that happens. So, if you have a supplement or follow-on you can afford to give away as a sort of loss leader, this could be a good promotion for you. If you have a series, giving away the first book in a promotion like this could be great to get people hooked and have them buy the rest of the series. If you just have one book it's a little harder to see the utility, other than just more eyeballs seeing your work, but the bargain eBook promotion might be good - I'm planning to try that after my next book comes out in August. I'll try to remember to report back later on how the whole thing goes. 

Best-Sellers Religiuos Short Reads 2020-05-24 1339 CDT.JPG

Edited by Chris Brown
  • Like 1

I found this list of Christian book bloggers: https://blog.feedspot.com/christian_book_review_blogs/

I think it's a pretty current list. However, you have to click on the second, smaller blog link, not the first, if you want to visit the blog. And not all have readily available contact info. But anyway, check it out. It might be helpful.

Also this site featured my book on the front page of the New Releases section for about a week for free, which was very kind of them, but I get the feeling it doesn't get a whole lot of exposure.

https://www.goodebooks.net/greatreads.html

• Thanks 1

I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents worth:

The best promotional tools and websites for me would be the ones that I can integrate easily into my life and that I can use to build relationships with people - whether that's with other authors or with readers who are interested in the genre I write. The way I see it, the goal isn't to find a whole lot of people to market to, but to find people to build relationships with who can then market by word of mouth for me. So then anything that helps me build those relationships without taking a ton of time would be the best tools for me. 

• Like 2

Update for anyone interested: A couple of days after the freebooksy promotion, my "loss leader" free eBook is still #1 in the really narrow category shown above, it peaked at #6 in free Christian eBooks, and cracked the top 100 overall free eBooks. So, in that sense it was a successful promotion and I'm glad some people are seeing it. However, so far it looks like I've sold exactly 2 copies of the main book, so nowhere close to paying for the cost of the promotion. There may be some lingering impact that I won't see immediately, but right now it seems lots of people downloaded the freebie but only a couple went on to buy something. 

Update to the update: During the 5 days of having my follow-on eBook free on Kindle, with the freebooksy promotion on day 1, there were approximately 1500 downloads. 

On 5/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Chris Brown said:

Update for anyone interested: A couple of days after the freebooksy promotion, my "loss leader" free eBook is still #1 in the really narrow category shown above, it peaked at #6 in free Christian eBooks, and cracked the top 100 overall free eBooks. So, in that sense it was a successful promotion and I'm glad some people are seeing it. However, so far it looks like I've sold exactly 2 copies of the main book, so nowhere close to paying for the cost of the promotion.

Huh- who would have guessed?

6 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Huh- who would have guessed?

Sometimes you don't know until you try... I did realize that there were~1500 downloads, but only a handful had started reading it, so there may be some continuing residual interest in the main book as people get around to reading the freebie. 

And as I've said elsewhere, writing is really a ministry effort for me, so if 1500 new people get exposed to my message of God's grace, then I'll call that a big win.

• Like 2

Yes! When you substitute the word "outreach" for " market," it does wonders for your "why."

• Like 1