Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Film-Related Question

Does anyone know if you can photoshop with videos? I'm trying a free trail of Adobe and I'm a little lost. Free trail ends next week so help is appreciated. :)

It looks like there are some videos on YouTube about using Adobe Photoshop on videos. You might want to check them out. I've never used Photoshop though.

Hope you can figure it out!

• Thanks 1

Hey, I'm in the same boat, Sarah.  I just got the Adobe Creative Cloud, which has all their programs (I got it on the student discount) and I'm just now learning to use them with YouTube videos, like HK1 says.

• Thanks 1

You can use the newest version of PS which is CS whatever. However, it's very difficult. It's much better to use Adobe Premier, which is their video editing software. (I have a live-in filmographer at my house!) :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Hah! That was smart of you!

LOL Just got him out of Hollyweird a few months ago and he's back home. Thank You, Lord! :D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Adobe video program that's most comparable to Photoshop is After Effects (the magenta Ae icon...). It's extraordinarily impressive, but has a somewhat steep learning curve. It's very much worth learning, though, and there are lots of YouTube videos that may give you some introductory help.

Edited by Wes B
  • Thanks 1

Here are the descriptions of both programs:

Adobe Premiere Pro is an NLE (nonlinear editor) with the main function of editing video clips together in a sequence. This is the program that most beginners open to create a simple video with multiple clips and music. It’s incredibly scalable — easy to use for beginners, and still powerful enough for a master editor. It’s got just about everything you need to complete a professional video: a clip editor, color correction tools, audio programs, and even graphics software.

Adobe After Effects is a digital motion graphics platform used to create either simple animations or intricate graphics sequences. If you ever hear of a “motion graphics expert,” chances are they’re proficient in After Effects. The program adds motion to layers and assets that you couldn’t do  in Premiere. Its motion tools are much better than Premiere’s, and it’s the preferred tool for adding motion to videos, images, and designs. It’s a “hard to learn, easy to master” type of program, but once you get the hang of it, it’s essential for creating motion graphics or visual effects for your projects.

Hope this helps a little.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! That's helpful, but I was trying to figure out if you can use photoshop with video clips. For example, take a person from a video clip and replace the background but still keep it as a video.

40 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Thanks! That's helpful, but I was trying to figure out if you can use photoshop with video clips. For example, take a person from a video clip and replace the background but still keep it as a video.

That's Keying, in After Effects AE also allows you to use video masks and layers, like you would use static masks & layers in photoshop.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Man oh man, Wes B, thanks!

You're very welcome!!! Adobe CC is an absolutely amazing suite of applications.

Not sure what you're looking to do, but if you want to play with something that's a real hoot, check out Adobe Character Animator (magenta (Ch) icon...) If your computer has a video camera, than you can create a cartoon "puppet" that will act out and move with the motions of your face in the camera! I haven't really played with it, but I've seen demos that are totally insane!!!

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 1