Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Who’s on Goodreads?

So I’m curious. Who here is also on Goodreads (as an author, I mean.) Do you find it helpful for connecting with readers and promoting books? How exactly do you use it?

Is there another site/forum that you’ve found to be better? 

As a matter of fact, this whole book promotion business is less like disappearing into the void and more like trying to have a conversation with your deaf Grandma with an F15 turning on the afterburners overhead. 

I am. Not having explored it a lot, they offer advertising similar to Book Bub. Sorry I'm not much help. But I do enjoy your example. 😁

I'm listed but I never go there.

Zee, I think the other Z had a thread discussing Goodreads. Yes, here it is.  Be very wary of Goodreads. You'll see why after you read through Z's thread.

There is another site but the name is off wandering around in la-la land! o_O

52 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

There is another site but the name is off wandering around in la-la land!

So glad I'm not the only one that happens to. 🤣

14 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

So glad I'm not the only one that happens to. 🤣

LOL Yeah, unfortunately, la-la land seems to invade a little more frequently than I like! o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Well, I have to admit with shame and trepidation that until very recently my only “social media” presence was this site. I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. And that’s mainly because I know the Internet can be a nasty place, and didn’t really expect Goodreads to be an exception to that rule. But I need to get public somehow, if I’m going to have positive results ( ie, selling more than one book.)

4 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

By the way, Lynn- I don't follow Goodreads anymore.  What's gone wrong with it?

So where do you go instead?

Posted (edited)

I'm on Goodreads. 

2 hours ago, Zee said:

Do you find it helpful for connecting with readers and promoting books? How exactly do you use it?

I never promote books there. Too many members on that site are like bands of mercenaries just looking for something to shoot at - particularly hapless authors who try to actively promote their books. 

While Goodreads has by far the largest collection of readers (over 90 million worldwide), and has a dizzying amount of web traffic, it's not a place for authors to actively promote their work. I consider it a passive promotion opportunity.

There's no shortage of "clever" strategies to promote on GR, but I have always considered any attempt to do so like playing with matches in an oil refinery.

Oh, and Amazon owns GR. I'm surprised membership is still free. 

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

While Goodreads has by far the largest collection of readers (over 90 million worldwide), and has a dizzying amount of web traffic, it's not a place for authors to actively promote their work. I consider it a passive promotion opportunity.

I see, that makes sense. I suppose you "actively" promote your books on Facebook, or something like that?

I have a goodreads author account under my G. L. Curry pen name. I haven’t found it a great way to connect with readers, but I don’t have many reviews, and I’m terrible at marketing. I put a few chapters of my published book on Wattpad for free reading, and surprisingly, I’ve gotten more interest in my story that way.

• Like 1

I'm on it, but I don't do much with it. I think it may have been better before Amazon took it over, but I look at their promotion opportunities now and can't see anything I would want to do. 

• Like 1