Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I’m curious, what do y’all use for music to help focus on your writing?    I listen to Ambience instrumental music, I usually listen to whichever mood the scene is in.  

I find that Epic music (the genre, not the soundtrack) really helps me get in the mood for writing. I use that for any scene - thoughtful, tense, action, relaxed, whatever. 

There have been times when I've had to avoid Epic music for my emotional health (a lot of it can be "dark", and that does affect me). That's when I turn to the playlists on YouTube that have hour-long classical music. Gregorian Chants are also a favorite of mine for writing. 

I write to the music of cats snoring, meowing, brushing against my legs (we have three indoor cats); the birds singing outside (it's almost summer, so screen doors); the ice maker dumping its ice' the old mantel clock gonging the hour; the tractor planting grain in the field next door; the train whistle in the distance--what out here we call silence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

I find that Epic music (the genre, not the soundtrack) really helps me get in the mood for writing. I use that for any scene - thoughtful, tense, action, relaxed, whatever. 

There have been times when I've had to avoid Epic music for my emotional health (a lot of it can be "dark", and that does affect me). That's when I turn to the playlists on YouTube that have hour-long classical music. Gregorian Chants are also a favorite of mine for writing. 

I don’t mean to sound like I’m judging but aren’t  Gregorian Chants Demonic?

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

what out here we call silence.

LOL Love all that, Carolina! xD

29 minutes ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

Here's what the Wikipedia says:

Gregorian chant is the central tradition of Western plainchant, a form of monophonic, unaccompanied sacred song in Latin (and occasionally Greek) of the Roman Catholic Church. Gregorian chant developed mainly in western and central Europe during the 9th and 10th centuries, with later additions and redactions.

13 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I've never even heard of Gregorian Chants.  What are they?

Here ya go, SW.

I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for that day. Some days it is the background sound of the kid's cartoon we watched 1,588,709 times. 😑 I'm ready to ignore it by that point! 😄 😋 I've used rainymood.com before, but only when it is not tornado weather here in tornado alley. Normally I listen to epic music on YouTube. Most of them don't have words, because that's way too distracting! I usually just type in epic music, and what type I want that day. I've listened to pirates, battles, western, Celtic, bagpipes, creepy clowns, and more. I do try to stay away from the emotional ones; they make me sleepy. 😄 😴 They also have coffee shops, fireplaces, and jazz bands. 

Joe, I also listen to instrumental music. Can't have any singing because I end up with a sing-along and my train gets derailed! :D However, if I am really deep into concentration, I turn it off. ;)

1 hour ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

After listening to Lynn's selection, I don't think so.  They are kind of boring, though.

I don't listen to music while I write. I'd be too focused on the music and not on writing :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Yeah, I think that is why I don't listen to it, too.

I listen to Epic instrumental music, it helps me focus on what I’m writing.  I’ve written over 1000 words just by listening to music. 

• Like 1

For me, it also depends on the volume. I set it pretty low. That way, it's more like white noise.

2 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I'm not sure on that one. They originated in the 1400s or 1500s in monastaries, which was before classical music as we know it was developed. That's why they can sound odd or strange to many - they function on a different set of musical rules to the music we are used to today

Thanks for posting, but I'm not going to listen to 53 minutes of it!

If I recall, it's Gregorian for Pope Gregory.

LOL Oh, no, no! That video wasn't really meant for listening all the way through. It was to give SW an idea what the chants sound like. :D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joseph S. Roberts said:

I’m curious, what do y’all use for music to help focus on your writing? 

Yes, oh yes!  I am extremely music-focused (I was in band when I was a kid). 

I'm a big prog rock fan, and used to listen to Yes, Kansas, Genesis, and so on when I wrote.  However, now I listen primarily to a Tennessee band called Glass Hammer.  They've done some Tolkien-inspired stuff, and a bunch of concept albums (Lex Rex being one of them).  They JUST released a new album (Dreaming City), and my mother-in-law gave it to me as a present recently.  I've been listening to that as I'm stitching together my "book 2" project.

I find that certain music aids when building certain scenes.  What I will do is take songs that act as a trigger for an emotive theme for a chapter, and I will put it into a playlist, and often times play it over and over in the course of several hours.  This may sound mind-numbing to listen to the same track or tracks in repetition over long period of time, but when I'm in pipe and focused on writing, I don't hear the music much.  But it does reinforce the theme, subliminally.  

Music is a HUGE influence on me.  I find that if I do not have the right music playing, it's like someone clanging a bunch of pans in my ears.  I cannot focus, and have to stop.

Crickets, frogs, and other nighttime bugs!!