Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I tried doing what Christ suggested, writing scenes out of order, but my little mind couldn't keep track of what I had written that already happened and what hadn't happened yet. I would strongly suggest a careful outline of what you have where if you write scenes out of order.

YES! An outline is a must. Even if you move things around in the outline some, you need a roadmap.

4 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:
1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I tried doing what Christ suggested, writing scenes out of order, but my little mind couldn't keep track of what I had written that already happened and what hadn't happened yet. I would strongly suggest a careful outline of what you have where if you write scenes out of order.

YES! An outline is a must. Even if you move things around in the outline some, you need a roadmap

Yes, the vast majority of people need an outline—some more detailed than others. Finding the best kind for you can take some trial and error, but the end result is worth it. However, if you are one of the very few that don't need it, (The group is smaller than you think), it's ok. God did not make us all the same, because that would be boring! Do what works best for you. The best way to find out is to give things a try. Keep what works for you, and get rid of what does not. Most importantly, pray, and enjoy the journey! 😊 

• Like 2

Katie Weiland wrote a good book on outlining.

I use an iPad App called Index Card to do my outlining. You can create stacks of cards, give the stacks titles. You can rearrange the cards within a stack. 

I create one stack for character sheets, one stack for each major research topic, one for my chapter outline (with one card per chapter), one stack for Bibliography references (if I have any). If I am creating a world, I have one stack for geography, one for alien creatures, etc.

You can paste images into the cards.

I have outlined four books using this tool. It sped up my writing process dramatically.

At the recommendation of some writers here at CW, I also started using a mind mapping tool. Without it I would not have made a pivotal connection in my current non-fiction project. I can paste the mind map onto one of my index cards, too.

Edited by paulchernoch