Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

A Disconnect...

I love writing fiction, but I actually don’t read much fiction. I prefer history, biography, memoir, etc. 

However, when I recently wrote a private, memoir-type story at the request of family, it was like pulling teeth. 

I’m glad I did it, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be fiction from now on. And I have so many story ideas, including (finally) sci fi and something for kids, I’ll probably never get around to them all.

Does anyone else’s preferred reading genre differ from what they like to write, or am I an anomaly in this?

• Like 1

Personally, I love reading the genre I write, but I also love reading other genres. Especially anything that makes me use my brian to find the find the clue for the answer—mystery, suspense, etc. 

• Like 1

Like @Alley, I love reading anything that makes me think and challenges me to find the answers. In general, I enjoy any well written book. I also enjoy reading nonfiction, especially that of people achieving the "impossible". 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zee said:

am I an anomaly in this?

If you're a writer, you're already an anomaly! (Except here.)

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 1

I think the potential pitfall comes when you’re so unfamiliar with the rules and conventions of the genre, that you end up writing a story that just doesn’t “work.” I made that mistake the first time, but after a helpful beta reader pointed it out, I was able to fix it. 

I have read a few more thrillers than I have romances, (though it isn’t a genre I love either,) so we’ll see what happens this time. Hopefully I haven’t made any massive blunders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zee said:

have read a few more thrillers than I have romances (though it isn’t a genre I love either,) so we’ll see what happens this time.

You know there are sub-genres like romantic suspense if that sounds interesting. 

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

So what genre do you love, Zee?

Yeah, what do you enjoy reading? 

• Like 1

If I had to pick a fiction genre I really liked, it would probably be a detective mystery. D.L. Sayers is a favorite.

But of course I’ve read both romances and thrillers that I’ve loved, so it’s nothing against the genres, it’s just that (for differing reasons) people so seldom get them right.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, Zee said:

Does anyone else’s preferred reading genre differ from what they like to write, or am I an anomaly in this?

Yes. I love historical detective type stuff. If it has a literature or art theme, so much the better  - i.e Girl with  A Pearl Earring. I once spend three weeks doing chaplaincy work in Italy and found a wonderful writer who did novels based on Italian historical events.Heaven. I read 3 of their books while out there.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, Zee said:

I think the potential pitfall comes when you’re so unfamiliar with the rules and conventions of the genre, that you end up writing a story that just doesn’t “work

Yes, very true.  I also like James Becker who write thrillers so that keeps me on my toes with the Sphinx trilogy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Yes. I love historical detective type stuff. If it has a literature or art theme, so much the better  - i.e Girl with  A Pearl Earring. I once spend three weeks doing chaplaincy work in Italy and found a wonderful writer who did novels based on Italian historical events.Heaven. I read 3 of their books while out there.

You’d probably like “The Daughter of Time” by Josephine Tey. It’s a good read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really picky when it comes to genre's, so that may make me even more of an anomaly...  I even read text books for fun sometimes. 🤗

though some of my favorites would probably be fantasy, action/adventure type, and christian lit. - followed closely by christian living, and history. Then the rest kind of hold my interest around the same level depending on the plot... suspense, thriller, romance, etc.... Short stories probably hold last place... oh, but I love parables, myths, legends, and short stories from Hans Christian Anderson, so I guess it all depends there too...

On 5/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, Zee said:

If I had to pick a fiction genre I really liked, it would probably be a detective mystery. D.L. Sayers is a favorite.

Wow- I would have never guessed!

And historical detective type stuff- I would not have guessed that either, Shamrock!