Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sign in to follow this  
carolinamtne

Chapter length

Question: My Oregon/Bozeman Trail book is a diary. The daily entries range in length from 11 words to 800 words. In the process of writing it, I divided it up into geographical segments, not necessarily logical ones, mostly from one place to another. They don't necessarily tie together.

What would be a good chapter length? It's a little over 50,000 words.

Chris Fox says 3,000 words. I changed all my chapters to that length. It wasn't hard hard and I actually liked the length when I was reading through. 

I wouldn't have chapters. I'd just have entries, like in an actual diary. If you're going through the trouble of writing an actual simulated diary, you should keep the features of it..

@Thomas Davidsmeier, I would agree with you, but some of the entries are very short, the shortest one being only 11 words (including the date). I was thinking about putting each entry on its own page, but actually, she could (to save paper) simply continue on the same page.

Thank you, all of you. I think probably just continuing on from beginning to end is the best plan. Scrivener can do that.